Tpms not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

Hello all
Went over pothole which punctured tyre.replaced tyre now tpms won't work.just keeps spinning round
Any ideas would be grateful
Thanks

melvinharford

Post by melvinharford »

Sods law
After 3days of trying
30mins of putting on forum
All now working
Thanks anyway
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Weirdly (as it’s a similar system used by VAG, in that it uses the ABS sensors rather than transmitters in the tyres) the Volvo takes at least 20 minutes of driving to reset. In an Audi it’s 30 seconds. Actually, having hade a couple of cars with the sensors in the tyres I prefer that, despite the expense. I might invest is an aftermarket system that replaces the valve caps (but you do need to keep the caps greased or they seize on to the valves).
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

TBH its not a patch on the Tmps that Renault use... That gave you the pressure on each wheel not just a green light ....
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Personally I prefer the iTPMS used by Volvo and others. Very accurate and much less to go wrong with no regular replacement of expensive sensors required.
Also unwise to trust a TPMS system to display an accurate tyre pressure.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

Hmm. The ABS type is pretty poor on cars with low profile tyres, as the rolling circumference doesn’t change much with cages in pressure. And the TPMS readout on the Mazda I had was rock solid, and agreed with both my inflator and mechanical pressure gauge.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
Ruby12345#

Post by Ruby12345# »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:51 pm Personally I prefer the iTPMS used by Volvo and others. Very accurate and much less to go wrong with no regular replacement of expensive sensors required.
Also unwise to trust a TPMS system to display an accurate tyre pressure.
You think on what basis ? I had the Kadjar for 6 years and never had a problem ran summer and winter alloys readings were always spot on..
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

GRAF wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:36 pm Hmm. The ABS type is pretty poor on cars with low profile tyres, as the rolling circumference doesn’t change much with cages in pressure. And the TPMS readout on the Mazda I had was rock solid, and agreed with both my inflator and mechanical pressure gauge.
Misses T-Cross R line with rubber bands. I mean low profile tyres, the ABS based warning came up perfectly when we had a flat in it.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Direct TPMS systems usually advise not to use as a replacement for checking tyre pressures manually. I fear many people do and I guess mostly it'll be fine.
dTPMS systems use expensive battery operated monitors inside the tyre. Many of which are sealed units that require the whole unit to be replaced, probably the set. Not a cheap day out at your local tyre shop.

iTPMS uses the already present highly sophisticated systems that monitor what each wheel is doing to Control stuff like ABS, electronic limited slip diff, traction control, etc. sort of a free add on function.

I've had both systems and punctures with both systems and both systems do their job excellently. But my preference is the iTPMS as there are less moving parts and less to go wrong.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.