Volvo XC40 / 2019

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
StevePMP

Post by StevePMP »

I bought 2 weeks ago a second hand XC40 (42,000 miles) 1.5 Momentum T3. Driving home the message auxiliary battery needs service for Start/Stop. Took the car to my local Volvo garage which I've used for 15 years as had 3 Volvo's previously. The garage said the clutch was really heavy and there were oil pressure warnings coming up. The garage suggested that there was a major problem and that the drive shaft/axel/clutch all need replacing at a cost of between 3-4K. Something to do with one side of the engine areas having something missing at the manufacture and installation stage. He said it's quite a common problem with XC40. he said he had an XC40 coming in next week that had the same problem and needed a complete engine strip down etc. Has anyone experienced this problem? The car is not under Volvo warranty but I did purchase a full 12 month warranty fro the garage that sold me the car. I called them and they said they'd collect the car and investigate and repair as needed but unsure how you would know the work the Volvo garage said needed doing would be done. I also understand that I do have 30 days from date of purchase (Feb 24) to ask for a full refund and return the car as these were clearly faults with the vehicle when I bought it - albeit unbeknowns to the seller. I'm veering towards trying to get my money back . All thoughts welcome. Steve

Stovo

Post by Stovo »

If you can return the vehicle subject to the T&C’s of your purchase agreement, I would do so and get your monies back. There are other threads on this forum outlining some serious issues with the T3 engine.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Definitely get your money back if you can.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
If it were me, I would definitely reject the car and get your money back, the Volvo garage has definitely gave you some worrying problems. You can’t be comfortable that the garage will do all the work required plus There are plenty of used XC40 about
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Same advice here, get your money back as the T3 manual is one to steer clear of due to a design fault that in some cases (many?) has caused the clutch to wear prematurely and requires replacement along with the crankshaft and its thrust bearing and it sounds as though yours has other issues as well.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.