Oil overfill

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dougsw

Post by Dougsw »

I have a 68 plate xc40 d4 inscription, it has just started telling me that my oil is overfilled,I haven't put any in in the 6 months I've had the car level has been fine till I got this message, anyone know what the issue is please?

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Read this thread

viewtopic.php?t=1373
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

Volvo will tell you that you are doing wrong journeys! I bought my car and had 2 full oil changes within the first 3 months. ( Your oil will now be diluted with fuel! It's viscosity will be ruined and the oil to the bearings and engine in general will be much less use!)
The regeneration of the diesel particulate filter is aided by fuel oil being injected into the exhaust system (to increase the temperature). If for some reason the regeneration stops...... the extra fuel sinks into the sump (raising the overall oil level). Volvo recommended lowering the sump oil level ( just allowing more fuel space in the sump)
On my last oil change they "recalibrated" the oils and I am waiting to see what happens!
It appears to be a consequence of getting Euro 6 certification. Seems like a design fault, seems to effect many manufacturers and across many models. There are many threads here and on Volvo UK forum.
Cross your fingers and stay informed.