Learner not Quite Driver

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Oswald

Post by Oswald »

Hi everyone

Always been a German fan with VW & BMW in the past. I had a flash back to my youth and Volvo popped into the head. I had a look on line and the XC40 is the car for me. I'll get it new from a dealership in Edinburgh

I'm here for tips etc to help me on my way before the car arrives - long wait 5-7 months

JB XC40

Post by JB XC40 »

Welcome along šŸ˜€
I was a first time Volvo owner last July and like you pretty much always been VW/Audi with a BMW Mini chucked in to scratch a long standing itch!! (TBC!!)
Car has been fantastic and really pleased with it. Great build and finish which is, in my opinion on par with the Germans. Only small gripe is itā€™s not brilliant on fuel around town but to be fair I didnā€™t expect miracles. Every other part more than makes up for that though.
Good luck with the wait. Iā€™m sure it will be worth it.
Ordered Volvo XC40 B4 Mild Hybrid Ultimate Dark
Silver Dawn 20ā€ 5 Double Spoke Alloys
Delivered July 2023
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

I owned a couple of Volvos when I was younger. An S70 TDI and an S60 D5. Both great cars.
Since then I have had various BMW, Audi and Mercedes cars before getting.my current XC40 as a company car. As it sits on my drive right now it is 3 years and 3 months old with 65,000 miles on it. My new company car is due to arrive next week.
In the time I have had it, it's been faultless. Sure there have been a couple of things done under warranty but these have been picked up during the normal service visits and at no time has the car let me down.
Build quality wise, nothing has fallen off or broken although in the last few weeks, I have noticed the occasional squeak or rattle. Nothing significant but I would not have expected the same on a BMW
It's been a lovely car to live with
Where I have seen the biggest difference is the dealership experience compared to BMW (Audi and Mercedes less so) which has been very hit or miss. Sometimes I have not felt like the owner of a premium marque when visiting the dealer. These are the sort of things you only notice when they are not there.
As I said, my new company car arrives next week. An i4 BMW. The XC40 was second on my shortlist and it was a close run thing but it came down to wanting more of a drivers car again and the dealer experience. The XC40 is great for driving up and down motorways and autoroutes. It can sit for hours at motorway speeds and you feel fresh afterwards but I'm just not ready to trade in my driving gloves quite yet.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Newswitcher

Post by Newswitcher »

Welcome! I too moved from bmw to xc40. It's a really nice car and its all round a quality car. The biggest draw back for me has been in tech - Volvo have embraced Google's aaos which is still very new and lacks the finesse and slick user experience of the idrive system. There is plenty of time for it to mature but the transition has felt a little bumpy for me it has to be said.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Blond Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims