Oil level dropped to 86% from full - a week after collection! Please help

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Firstvolvo111

Post by Firstvolvo111 »

OK so we picked up our new petrol 2021 volvo xc40 t3 (approx 18k miles) approx 2 weeks ago, when we test drove the car we noticed that the oil level was showing full, no issues.

On the day the car was collected it had been serviced by the dealership, so I presume the oil level checked and if necessary, topped up.

Approx a week later, I was looking for something else on the settings and noticed that the oil level had dropped 12 bars, we contacted the dealership straight away being under warranty who advised us to take it to an independent garage, and check for leaks. We did this and the mechanic said that he could see no evidence of external leaks but could not rule out an internal one, albeit seeing no obvious signs.

Weve taken the car back to the dealership and their mechanic confirmed oil had been lost and it was now 86%, but again on inspection can't find any obvious defects. I believe they are going to test drive the car tomorrow.

I am looking for advice, if the dealership can't find any obvious fault, and the level hasn't dropped following their test drive, is it still a concern? Would you push / suggest for us to get a diagnosis directly with volvo? I don't know if it is safe to drive.

Is this a common fault? Can anyone think of any reason that could have caused it?

Thank you for any advice,

AldridgeAndy

Post by AldridgeAndy »

I'm surprised that a dealership would tell you to take a car to an independent garage to get it checked, you'd expect them to tell you to come in to see them the supplying dealer?

Was the car filled to max after it's service. If it wasn't a Volvo dealer, maybe the car wasn't filled to the max after it's service. Has the oil level dropped since you noticed the level wasn't at max?

How many miles have you covered since having the car, some vehicles will use some oil, though these days we don't expect much if any oil consumption.

Personally I'm thinking "not a Volvo dealer, filled oil to the max at service, car was started, oil filter fills with oil, level wasn't rechecked again and now shows the level you are seeing".
2024 MY - Volvo XC40 B3 Plus Dark
Firstvolvo111

Post by Firstvolvo111 »

AldridgeAndy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:48 pm I'm surprised that a dealership would tell you to take a car to an independent garage to get it checked, you'd expect them to tell you to come in to see them the supplying dealer?

Was the car filled to max after it's service. If it wasn't a Volvo dealer, maybe the car wasn't filled to the max after it's service. Has the oil level dropped since you noticed the level wasn't at max?

How many miles have you covered since having the car, some vehicles will use some oil, though these days we don't expect much if any oil consumption.

They didn't have any availability to do the inspection until mid March so asked we took it to an independent garage - they now have it, and have since heard back to say no fault has been found, its had a test drive and we will hear back more tomorrow!

When we viewed the car it did show all of the bars were full, we collected it about a week later, they had serviced it and then about a week later I noticed that the screen was now showing about 80% full, I'm not sure how much they filled it up during the service, or how this process is carried out? The dealership said they noticed it had dropped to 86%. We have hardly driven it at all, perhaps 50 miles?
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

Was the oil level full after the service? Because there's no dipstick it's hard to check the oil without having the engine running