CarPlay with AAOS - Benefits?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

So, my new-to-me XC40 has the AAOS. With this I can get Spotify and Tunein, Waze and of course Google Maps. What is there that’s an advantage that’s only available via CarPlay?
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You might use apps on your iPhone via Apple CarPlay that are not yet available for AAOS. I can’t think of any other advantage in using CarPlay until your data usage plan is free and unlimited in AAOS.
GRAF

Post by GRAF »

That’s was pretty much what I was thinking. I don’t have unlimited data on my ‘phone at present, though I used to have. I still think, after the 4 years (well, 3 1/4 years in my case) free Volvo SIM is up it would be cheaper to buy a data SIM than cough up £10 a month to go unlimited on the ‘phone.
2023 XC40 FWD B4 Ultimate in Vapour Grey
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

…unless you drive in an area where Volvo’s SIM has spotty network coverage and your iPhone is connected to a different network provider with good coverage. In that case using your iPhone via CarPlay would ensure uninterrupted music streaming.
itsmarc

Post by itsmarc »

I think my question would be - why use the absolutely awful/unfinished AAOS infotainment when a much more polished Carplay is available?

Firstly, music - I mainly listen to lossless audio files (over 3000 of them) - curated with smart playlists, playlists, and the native Apple music app is vastly superior to anything AAOS has (I tried Audiowagen and it's quite basic by comparison). Even when I'm not using my own library and want to listen to something new on Spotify, I require the ability to download my playlists to play offline (as much of my driving is in the Scottish highlands where streaming is often simply not viable due to poor/no signal) - and currently the AAOS media apps I've tried do not support that feature.

Secondly - while I generally prefer Google Maps to Apple Maps, I found recently that using Apple Maps for navigation actually provides a better experience in AAOS - which surprised me for obvious reasons. Basically, when using the built-in Nav, I see the Nav in both AAOS on the centre display, and also the digital instrument cluster, but the instrument display shows very little information about the trip. Also, when using that, if I switch to Carplay for media, then I no longer see the nav on the centre display. Then, if I use Google Maps inside car play (and have the Carplay combined page that shows media and nav) I can see the directions in the centre display, but not the instrument cluster. However, when using Apple Maps - I see the mapping on both displays (and it actually looks a lot better than Google Maps IMO) and it gives more info about the trip in the intrument cluster.

So until AAOS matures (and it definitely needs it), Carplay absolutely walks all over AAOS for infotainment and nav - at least for my use.
2024 B4P Ultimate Dark | Silver Dawn (all features present and correct)
gedger

Post by gedger »

For me it's principally TomTom as I've found google maps to be poor when towing. I also have all my music and playlists on the iPhone. I do prefer the way messages are handled under CarPlay but that's not a biggy. As the wireless charger doesn't work I tend to plug the phone in anyway so using CarPlay isn't a hassle.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

It's down to the apps you use
I use Apple Music for music
I use iMessage for messaging
I will use Apple maps over Google maps (or worse, Waze) for "turn by turn" navigation any day of the week
I use Siri extensively
So in my case, CarPlay gives me access to all of this where as AAOS would not
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

If you're in the android camp then there is no question what you use!
Has anyone tried the AAOS native Sygic navigation app?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.