Volvo Extended Warranty via Car Care Plan - Any views?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

ChrisLF, Normally I'd agree about about changing cars, trouble is What will we be allowed to buy in 2027 and How much more Big Brother Tech will be forced upon us? I'm seriously considering buying something 10 years old without the tech and with a Big Engine and simply spend my money keeping it running and enjoy it!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Don’t think it is worth the worry about things going wrong once warranty runs out, otherwise the second hand market would collapse. Far more cost to change car after 3 years as this period is when the greatest loss is incurred due to depreciation. That and the added fact not everyone is in the fortunate position to change every 3 years.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Why not "self insure"? Put an amount aside each year into a "just in case" fund rather than buy a warranty which may or may not pay out.. Our other vehicles are 19 and 22 years old. Owned from new and always serviced on schedule. Over that time they have each cost less than £2,000 in unscheduled repairs. Agreed they don't have the very complicated electronics of more modern cars but very expensive failures are quite rare.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Agreed. Take it on the chin if it goes wrong.
Lincolnshire England.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I had a Freelander 2 for 8 years and 100k miles. Only unexpected bill I got was at 70k miles when the crankshaft main oil seal failed. I had new clutch and flywheel at the same time, cost £1,800 at main dealer. And that was on a car not known for reliability!
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Stovo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:04 pm Don’t think it is worth the worry about things going wrong once warranty runs out, otherwise the second hand market would collapse. Far more cost to change car after 3 years as this period is when the greatest loss is incurred due to depreciation. That and the added fact not everyone is in the fortunate position to change every 3 years.
I'd agree even with my first XC40 but with this one being even more complicated and with all the electronics etc. it is something that does concern me, part of getting old and I don't want the worry and hassle. With new cars you have the added potential problems with getting into the car and moving it, it's crazy. You could be stranded because of some stupid support battery or software issue. My Audi TT is nearly 10 years old and lovely and simple by comparison, even got a manual gearbox and handbrake.

I think there will be a problem in the second-hand market before too long as many folks won't want to take on the risk or be able to afford having the likes of current cars repaired. The government in forcing manufacturers to go down the route that they have as usual don't think about the longer term with the distinct possibility that any fuel savings and lower emmissions will be wiped out by cars getting scrapped earlier than they should. And manufacturers aren't worried about second-hand cars.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Do you still do handbrake turns in the TT 😁
Lincolnshire England.
steveg999

Post by steveg999 »

FWIW, my dealer offered their extended warranty (too long a story why, but anyway...) but they were paying
However the exclusions appeared to make it meaningless, either for me in years 4 and 5, or for a potential next owner
I held out for a Selekt extension which appeared to be much like the original Volvo cover, looked much better