XC40 Safety Features

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
callen7575

Post by callen7575 »

Hi,

I picked up my XC40 today, lovely car to drive, but some questions on the safety functions.

It’s a 22 plate (2023 model I think) B3 plus. It has lane keeping assistance and BLIS (which I know work). However, I’m not sure if the CitySafe and/or IntelliSafe are standard. I followed some guides and Volvo instructions (about changing sensitivity) saying to go into settings and My Car, but I don’t have that option. Picture attached

Through the driver settings I only have the ability to turn on/off lane keeping assistance and ready to drive.

It was advertised as having oncoming lane mitigation, so I’m guessing there’s safety features without them being in the settings. I just want to know if it will have additional features, especially automated breaking to stop me running into the back of someone. I just want some peace of mind rather than finding out the hard way.

Thanks

IMG_4620.jpeg

callen7575

Post by callen7575 »

It also has the Rear Cross Traffic Alert, but again nothing in the settings. In my father in laws 2020 XC40 you can swipe right on the centre screen to get to all the options, but I can’t on mine. Am I just being really stupid and not able to find these functions, has the ability to change them been removed, or do I just not have them?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Options to adjust settings have been removed from AAOS. Why not put the car in reverse and get someone to walk behind the car. If you get lots of warning sounds then you have Cross Traffic Alert.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Citysafe was standard on earlier models with the Sensus system. Newer models have a similar system under "Assistance at risk of collision" in the manual. It can't be turned off so nothing in the Menu.

Intellisafe is what the car goes through when you start up to check that all the systems etc. are working Ok. Shows in the driver's display briefly.

Edit: too slow posting so overlapped!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
callen7575

Post by callen7575 »

Great, thank you. I assumed that some sort of collision avoidance/emergency breaking would be standard, but seeing as I couldn’t change the sensitivity, just a concern it didn’t have it.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

You should have CTA (Cross Traffic Alert) and there should be a button to turn it off and RAB (Rear Auto Brake) in the camera window.

I wish you could turn off Collision Avoidance like I could with my first one!
Last edited by ChrisLF on Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

ChrisLF wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:40 pm I wish you could turn off Collision Avoidance like I could with my first one!
It definitely seems too sensitive from my experience, it's jammed the brakes on a couple of times when you could have fitted a lorry through the gap. Very unnerving when it happens, definitely not good for the blood pressure!
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

The automatic speed limiter is also best avoided. You really dont want sudden braking when on a motorway and it suddenly decides the limit is 30mph. It's ok for keeping you at 20mph in city centres but thats about it.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
callen7575

Post by callen7575 »

Thanks all.

Just tested out the rear parking, and yes there's an option to turn off the brake. I tested with a bush, and god it's brutal!! Oddly my wife's 2017 Skoda Kodiaq has front and rear sensors that autobrakes front and rear, which is really good but also not as harsh. I was surprised that the XC40 allows you to drive into something at slow speeds (I tried that with a bush). Is there a certain speed at which it will stop the car automatically when going forward?

Also, agree re auto speed limiter, and leaving that off. I did notice on a dual carriage way that it picked up a small sign from a road alongside. Luckily, with it being turned off, it just displayed the sign and didn't brake.

Thanks
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Low-speed auto brake on Skoda uses short-range parking sensors calibrated for fixed obstacles. Volvo uses long-range radar for rear cross-traffic alert, identifying fast moving vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians hence the harsh braking to immediately stop the car. The front emergency brake also uses radar not parking sensors and it’s activated at speeds above 3 mph.

From the owner’s manual: “ City Safety is not activated at very low speeds - below 4 km/h (3 mph) - and the system therefore does not intervene in situations where your car is approaching a vehicle ahead very slowly, e.g. when parking.”

Skoda gives more peace of mind at low speed parking, if the driver disregards parking sensors audible and visual warnings it will ultimately stop the car one inch before touching the fixed obstacle. Volvo’s system is calibrated for obstacles that can suddenly appear in the front of the car, so continuing to slowly move towards a fixed obstacle despite warnings from parking sensors is at driver’s own peril.