Auto start/off and pilot assist

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Savant, if you turn off Auto Hold the engine restarts when you lift off the brake rather than when you touch the accelerator. Making it That bit quicker.
That also means just lifting off the brake and immediately reapplying restarts the engine and keeps it running whilst stopped.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I'll have to give that a go as well though it really defeats the advantage of using Autohold for when it is most useful i.e. town driving and traffic lights etc.

For me, many of these systems don't enhance the driving experience, they spoil it and if you can you have to come up with workarounds to have the car do what you want it to and that's not making things easier.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Savant

Post by Savant »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:22 pm Savant, if you turn off Auto Hold the engine restarts when you lift off the brake rather than when you touch the accelerator. Making it That bit quicker.
That also means just lifting off the brake and immediately reapplying restarts the engine and keeps it running whilst stopped.
This is a very useful tip! Let me try.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Chris, looking at the way the auto industry and the world is going it would appear Self Driving cars with little or no Driver Input is the future. So we are just being groomed for that fateful day!
Lincolnshire England.
Savant

Post by Savant »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:24 pm Chris, looking at the way the auto industry and the world is going it would appear Self Driving cars with little or no Driver Input is the future. So we are just being groomed for that fateful day!
EX90 will have self driving features - future is already here!
PreservedKillick

Post by PreservedKillick »

You can turn of the stop start function by setting a driver profile. This may be found in the settings menu.

I hope you enjoy your XC40
XC40 T5 R Design Pro AWD Polestar
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

You can't turn off Stop/Start function in AAOS cars.
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:24 pm Chris, looking at the way the auto industry and the world is going it would appear Self Driving cars with little or no Driver Input is the future. So we are just being groomed for that fateful day!
Not long turned 70 so not in my lifetime! :D

As I've said many times, the technology is nowhere close, despite what is said. Look at the problems with the tech now - collision avoidance, speed limiter etc. and the infrastructure i.e. signage supporting the latter. As well as the instances where the car has picked up 30mph signs on side and service roads when doing 70mph (no way am I using the speed limiter!) at the weekend I did 200 miles with long periods of no speed limits showing on the dash - I thought sat nav/GPS data was supposed to be used if no road signs?

Road layouts, apart from say motorways to some extent, are not designed for automanous cars and I still think there are too many variables to be overcome, cyclists and pedestrians, without the car playing it too safe and slowing/stopping unnessarily (as with collision avoidance now) and possibly cause accidents.

And the biggest thing for me is the interaction with non-automanous cars. It's bad enough on mini-roundabouts now - good luck with getting onto one in an automanous car! And sudden unexpected braking and getting rear ended!

And the reliability around this and particularly the software! It's bad enough with bugs, glitches and issues now!

It will take a lot to convince me that automanous cars are safer. And as for being stress free I'd be a nervous wreck in one!

And finally insurance, that hurdle still has to be overcome.

Thanks John, for getting me back onto one of my favourite subjects! Bah, humbug! :D
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
GeoffT

Post by GeoffT »

You are lucky that your autostop works! Auto-stop on my new XC40 is a mystery. It works only if I keep my foot on the brake pedal. Even if I am using the auto brake, the engine comes back on when I take my foot of the brake pedal. Sometimes the engine stays off, but it is completely random and unpredictable. If I am in a queue and stopped for some time, it isn’t practical to keep my foot pressing the brake pedal, so the whole point of autostop is defeated. I saw some comments from a few years ago that autostop was faulty on XC40. Anyone else with this issue?
XC40 B3 MY24 Mild Hybrid Ultimate, Fjord Blue, Google system, leather upholstery
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Often a hard press on the Brake turns the engine off when stationary. It is also dependent on how much draw there is on the Battery and its state of charge.
Do you do enough miles to keep the battery fully charged?
And as others commented, are you using Speed Limiter or Cruise Control at the time?
Lincolnshire England.