AdBlue dosing.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tyson

Post by Tyson »

Hi,

I started getting the AdBlue dosing service required, no start after 300 miles warning on the dashboard.
Also, the oil level service required light was also lit. When checked, it shows overfilled oil.
I booked the car (D4) into the garage and wondered if this was a common fault with diesels and petrol motors?
After checking this forum, I saw a few owners mention a software glitch??

Any comments welcome. Thanks

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

AdBlue warning should be a simple fill-up required. The oil overfill is usually un-burnt diesel entering the sump, and caused by too many forced (active) DPF regeneration events due to too many short trips. Petrol's do not suffer the same problem.
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

I have to disagree. I purchased a used D4 in September (ulez) 30000 miles and 1 owner. Volvo serviced and MOTd. 2 months in and red line oil warning. Volvo checked, changed oil and filter. 1 month later and get the warning again. 1000 miles mostly motorway. Volvo drained and refilled the oil and filter. RECALIBRATED the oil levels and here we are. I'm a mostly motorway driver, as said, but here's the thing.
The car is fitted with driver choices. ECO I assume is for driving around town. Urban traffic (think 20mph zones). I am scared of driving to the shops in case of problems. Surely if this is a problem then the engine is unfit for purpose? I believe that the problem is being ignored because, "hey we are only going to be selling electric soon".
I also found out that many Euro6 engines suffer this same fault. The instant answer seems to be to suggest that you are somehow driving incorrectly. Yes, I was asked! Any car that cannot be used as everyday transport should not be sold to "everyday people".
Deleted User 4737

Can understand from your experience why you may choose to disagree, but any increases in oil is usually down to un-burnt diesel being dumped into the sump. Why can perhaps include a fault maybe, but the usual reason is remaining un-burnt diesel being dumped into the sump following an active (not passive) regeneration!!
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

This is the obvious situation. The point, however, is that the regeneration is happening and failing often enough to raise the oil level by over 1 litre in less than 200 miles of motorway driving at 60/70 mph. That's 150 miles+ perhaps a couple of local shopping trips. This is a family car, not a long distance truck! 2 full oil and filter changes in just 3 months, having been fully serviced at sales point. Not sustainable.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Definitely something wrong there as you are using your car in an ideal way for a modern diesel. I think the dealer needs to do some serious investigation.

Forced regens should only happen if the systems determine that the soot is above a certain level in the DPF which it shouldn't be after such short distances. I'm no expect but possibly a faulty/damaged DPF or sensor etc. triggering an uncalled for regen?

I had a 2 litre diesel Euro 6 Skoda Yeti before my first Volvo and did 20 mile each way commutes and local running about, rarely any motorway, and had no problems, which is as it should be for that kind of use nevermind yours.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
percymon

Post by percymon »

The OP needs to give an indication of their vehicle usage.

there should be no increase in oil level for a car doing longer runs at decent speeds/revs, but lots of short low speed use will inevitably lead to oil level increase as diesels are just not designed for this type of use any longer
Deleted User 4737

DPF's are an excellent tool for removing soot - we can all remember the bellows of soot exiting old diesels. But where they are placed along the exhaust path is crucial to their performance and long-term health. Many are placed too far from the exhaust manifold, fill quickly, and require frequent regeneration. PDF's are OK when new, but as the miles are added they become less and less efficient requiring regeneration more frequently. Continuous short trips just hasten their failure. Its always hard to point the finger at exactly what is going on, but in this case would generally agree with ChrisLF only adding that it sounds like your PDF is failing and may need replacing.
XC40Warwick

Post by XC40Warwick »

Spike56 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:13 pm This is the obvious situation. The point, however, is that the regeneration is happening and failing often enough to raise the oil level by over 1 litre in less than 200 miles of motorway driving at 60/70 mph. That's 150 miles+ perhaps a couple of local shopping trips. This is a family car, not a long distance truck! 2 full oil and filter changes in just 3 months, having been fully serviced at sales point. Not sustainable.
I have had this issue once in 60,000 miles. It happened during a period of shorter journeys, Volvo did the oil/filter change as part of a service bulletin - it included the software change to adjust the original oil amount of 5.2 litres to 4.7 litres. Now i can tell when a regen is happening, the fans are on full, i wait until the fans have dropped speed back to normal, since doing that I have not experienced the issue.

Like the other comments, I think you have a bigger issue than just the occasional regen fail (due to turning off before the regen has finished)
XC40 FE D4 Crystal White 20" with LAVA
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Bit surprised as well that there isn't a warning light coming up on the dash for the DPF, but perhaps that's linked to the problem?

I sold my last diesel as soon as I retired, having to take it on a good run now and again rather negated the reduced emmissions and better fuel consumption!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.