T5 : how long should the battery last between drives?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
bfgmartin

Post by bfgmartin »

Hi all,

I’m strongly considering a used T5 XC40 as my next car but have one big question : I don’t drive much (sometimes only a few times per month) and park on the street so can’t trickle charge the battery easily. How good is the XC40 battery and battery drain? Will it last a few weeks without running or will it die after a week of sitting parked?

Thanks!

Martin

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Mine was left for 6 months this summer and was fine.
Although don’t expect the stop start system to work if you are not driving it much
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Bob

Post by Bob »

Similar to the previous post. Last year my 2018 T5 was left standing for 6 months in a repairers yard awaiting parts after an accident. Battery was fine, car started first time, but stop start didn't work initially, but started working again after a long run.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
bfgmartin

Post by bfgmartin »

Amazing, thanks!
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

A battery left standing is discharging a little all the time and can easily catch you out, especially in winter. I would invest in a small portable Jump Starter like the NOCO GB40, fits in the palm of your hand, easy to use and offers great piece of mind for those who don't drive much for very little outlay.
Bob

Post by Bob »

BuzBox wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:02 am I would invest in a small portable Jump Starter like the NOCO GB40, fits in the palm of your hand, easy to use and offers great piece of mind for those who don't drive much for very little outlay.
I agree, I have one of these that I take on tour with me when on my Motorbike. It's a BMW and it is not unknown for the batteries to fail. It happened to me and left me stranded waiting for recovery to start the bike using a booster, I'd been pondering over buying a Noco for months but the battery failure pushed me into taking action. Now I've bought it it'll probably never happen again! :lol:
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Deleted User 4737

Brought one a few years ago, just to keep by knowing how even new batteries can fail - never had to use it yet on own batteries but helped two stranded neighbours and one on a car-park. Would advise anyone who travels - just get one.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

BuzBox wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:02 am A battery left standing is discharging a little all the time and can easily catch you out, especially in winter. I would invest in a small portable Jump Starter like the NOCO GB40, fits in the palm of your hand, easy to use and offers great piece of mind for those who don't drive much for very little outlay.
Remember the car still has a normal 12v battery like any other car. This is totally separate from the hybrid battery that the T5 PHEV has
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
Deleted User 4737

Of course and it's this little 12v battery than gets run down when standing as it keep's all the 12v systems going; this is what the Jump-starter's for not the Hybrid Battery - the Hybrid Battery is not being run down when not in use - Never try to Jump-start via the Hybrid Batteries, it could be fatal!!