Is This a Good Way to Buy a Volvo

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

As buzzbox pointed out, reputation is paramount to some manufacturers, hence possibly worth contacting What Car and informing Volvo you are doing so. I agree that Volvo/dealer can walk away from deal if not viable, but personally there is no way I would want to pursue business further with this particular dealer, after the way you have been treated.
Have you looked at the Volvo Selekt site, there are some cracking deals to be had on some virtually brand new Ultimates, particularly if completed this month. The car is in stock, you will get a real time trade in valuation, and as you are just dealing with the dealer direct, negotiating will be a lot easier. Explain what has happened, and am sure they will help as best they can, to reach a deal that is agreeable to you. I would stay clear of the big groups, and look at family run dealerships such a Ray Chapman, Paul Rigby, Waylands. Don’t be put off by the fact it is ex demo, my last three cars have been and I have saved a lot of money, but enjoyed all the benefits of a brand new car.

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

I guess you are right ChrisLF to suggest that contracts can't be unfair, and have to be deliverable, but that works both ways - I honestly don't think that if, as gripross suggests they have pulled the plug on a deal, that they would do this legally knowing they could not? Maybe the delays were to attain clarity, who knows?
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Buzbox - Volvo haven't pulled the plug it's the dealer who is declining the part-ex because it's gone well past the estimated timescale and you can't blame them for that as they could end up with little, no profit or even a loss.

The agency model for any manufacturer depends on customers getting a decent trade-in and one would hope the best would come from a dealer for the particular manufacturer, but no guarantee of course. But with the reduced profit for dealers on the whole deal, second-hand sale plus fee for new car, then the manufacturers have to tightly control delivery times which in this case doesn't appear to be the case with the situation being made worse by the drop in part-ex values. Even in more stable times a months delay is going to have an affect on part-ex values as dealers won't have the wriggle room that they had.

As has been said, to sell cars you need to have a competitive purchase price but also a good trade-in which you need to have confidence in for a reasonable amount of time otherwise the business model falls apart. If dealers offer too low a price or walk away then that spells trouble for new car sales.

Stovo - trouble with second-hand is the interest rate which is usually way above that for new. I've looked in the past but ended up buying new because of that and getting a good discount.

Often you didn't know what the discount could be (days before Carwow etc.) until discussing with the dealer and initially the used price looked Ok compared with full retail. But with agency you can see the actual new car price which will then have a knock-on effect on used car prices which isn't doing dealers any favours either.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

ChrisLF - are you sure, if you go back to gripross latest update they wrote ........... "and get this..he says he has been made aware that Volvo UK are not prepared to honour the deal due to my part ex being woth £3400 less than was valued at back in August"................. Is that not suggesting Volvo has pulled the plug, sounds to me like they are??
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Will have to see what he says as they are sending mixed messages as they are saying that they are still investigating? After another 4 weeks the part-ex will be worth even less!

Earlier Gripross said it was the dealer that was walking away because of the part-ex value not Volvo.

Whilst there is a relationship between Volvo and a dealer I don't think Volvo have much control if any over the dealer as regards second-hand cars? At the end of the day they are an independent business who have to turn a profit.

It's interesting that other manufacturers are now treading water on adopting the agency model.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gripross

Post by gripross »

Good evening..
I was mid way through typing out another long piece to update you all....i got a txt last night from the Area Manager of Stoneacre offering me a deal to buy my car but with me having to increase my payments and put more money in...turned them down flat this morning and then got an increased deal but still not close enough for myself. I had a conversation with him and to cut a long story short explained that if we couldn't get to an acceptable deal i would be claiming for my plate removal..the fee incurred from insurance to do this...and then a fee for fact they have had my money so long. Also told him if we got to the figures i put to him that Volvo could close the investigation down...said he was confident they could get to this now as i have moved a little on my monthly payment ...Heard nothing all day so was preparing for the worst...and then as i was just typing an update i've got a txt to say we have got to where i wanted to be. And we have agreed i pick the car up in the New Year so it will be a year 2024 car.
I have had to move slightly on my monthly payment but I am happy with what we have settled on.
So at last i bring good news and appreciate all the comments and help everyone has posted on here.
This forum has certainly helped with your own experiences giving good advice and am sure i will be needing more help when i get the car with the likes of bliss and the google system to work out.
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I thought you would get a deal. Well done.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Good news that you're going to get your car at last though it is a pity that it has cost you a bit more. But at least you can now move on and put this sorry state of affairs behind you.

Won't it be a 2023 car though being as it's already been registered? Not that it makes much difference.

gripross

Post by gripross »

JFDIT wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:47 pm I thought you would get a deal. Well done.
Thank you for your input throughout
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
gripross

Post by gripross »

ChrisLF wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:50 pm Good news that you're going to get your car at last though it is a pity that it has cost you a bit more. But at least you can now move on and put this sorry state of affairs behind you.

Won't it be a 2023 car though being as it's already been registered? Not that it makes much difference.
To be honest Chris .. the deal that has been sorted means in effect i am paying the same money but getting a 3 year service pack instead of 5 year ...but 3 years will cover me till the end of my term anyway so to be fair to Volvo UK / Stoneacre they have effectively restored my faith...yes i,ve had to put up a strong fight and stand firm for the long term but the Stoneacre Area Manager has done good.
I know i won't get to know who is at fault here..or indeed if both are to blame...but as others including yourself have said on here...once i get the car it will all have been worth it. Lets hope none of you other new buyers have this issue and that mine was just a blip in the system.
But one thing is very clear to me...this agency model isn't without issues ...and i can't help but think that there is no substitute for a good old fashioned face to face chat when issues occur and not have to be done by email.