Alarming Incident

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I'm on my travels up North, and was parked in an Asda carpark. My wife left the car to shop and I stayed with the car. After she left the wing mirrors went to closed position and the alarm went off. Dash said no key found, despite mine being in the car. I tried putting it on the special key place and pressing start. I tried using the physical key. Nothing would stop the alarm until she returned with her key, 30 mins later, which immediately worked and everything returned to normal.

We both normally carry our keys and this has never occurred before. Any thoughts? Maybe latest software update related?

I'm reporting to the dealership to see if they have any ideas.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Sounds like one of those modern day software blips that re-sets itself. Annoying at the time but quickly forgotten. Maybe the dealer can shed light on it, but they usually can't adding - "not heard that one before"!!
Moss

Post by Moss »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:29 pm I'm on my travels up North, and was parked in an Asda carpark. My wife left the car to shop and I stayed with the car. After she left the wing mirrors went to closed position and the alarm went off. Dash said no key found, despite mine being in the car. I tried putting it on the special key place and pressing start. I tried using the physical key. Nothing would stop the alarm until she returned with her key, 30 mins later, which immediately worked and everything returned to normal.

We both normally carry our keys and this has never occurred before. Any thoughts? Maybe latest software update related?

I'm reporting to the dealership to see if they have any ideas.
The battery of your key fob too low ? If you put a new battery in your key, you could then repeat the same situation at home, and see if the result is the same.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

No, battery is fine. Wouldn't recognise key even in the special location. As soon as Wife's key "opened" the car everything was back to normal and my key worked again.
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Still a good point Moss. Even a new fob can have a duff battery, and the modern "smart" systems do get through batteries much quicker. Batteries in key-fobs use to last 2-3yrs but best change them annually today, however some manufactures have taken to upping the size of the battery to CR2450's, Toyota being one.
Moss

Post by Moss »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:11 pm No, battery is fine. Wouldn't recognise key even in the special location. As soon as Wife's key "opened" the car everything was back to normal and my key worked again.
OK. Just to be sure it’s not a battery problem, you could try out the same situation at home, but this time your wife using your key, and you using her key.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

Car was started on your wifes fob and auto-locked on the basis that she and her fob had left the car. Perhaps the system wasn't expecting to register another key within the vehicle hence not responding to it when operated?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Dealership rang me back. They tested on a similar XC40 and if the car is locked accidentally by one key and the alarm is triggered by someone inside the car then this is what happens.
They won't report it to Volvo unless car is onsite. Can't believe it's not a bug. Lucky I hadn't dropped my wife at the train station. I'd still be there!
Lincolnshire England.
stu22

Post by stu22 »

I'd suggest this is deliberate functionality and not an issue.

Imagine you were both in the car and one of you left your jacket with a spare key in the vehicle, you then left and locked using the other fob. Someone could walk up and touch the unlock button on the handle, gaining access and starting the car.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Agreed. Previously I've had it where the car simply won't lock when another key is inside. Like when you use the app to lock the car. If I have a valid key it should recognise it. Today my key became inactive.

The car would have been locked accidentally, I assume she touched the door handle lock zone when closing the passenger door. At which point I lost all access via my key. I was the driver, so this was rather disturbing not to mention giving me a hell of a headache.
Lincolnshire England.