Polestar Upgrade

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

Hi,

I have a 2018 UK Spec First Edition D4. Every year I have it dealer serviced and when asked if there were any issues I have always replied “None, except for the odd software glitch cured with switching off and on again, a very slow processor and a stupid and slow automatic gearbox”. Years one to four I got a shoulder shrug in return. However, year five, the service manager said we can cure the gearbox with a Polestar upgrade. Twenty minutes later and £550 worse off (and that was a special offer) the gearbox works far better and by that I mean it is far quicker off the lights, and when kicking down to overtake it delivers the power straight away instead of a lag, so I am pleased. I have also noticed the welcome slight increase in power as well. Not sure when Polestar was available for the XC40 D4 but I would have bought it after 6 months had I been aware of what it did for the gearbox. Obviously begs the question, putting aside a power boost, why Volvo did not just upgrade the automatic gearbox FOC to operate efficiently in the first place.
XC40 D4 R-Design Pro First Edition, Osmium Grey, 19” Wheels

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

I drove a First Edition D4 for 2-yrs before changing to a B4. The D4 was very sluggish in comparison to the B4, both had the 8-speed torque converter. I guess the standard software installed on the 8-speed was much better suited to a petrol. It does beg the question why Volvo did not give the diesel the Polestar treatment when developing the car; then at launch it would have made the First Edition D4 on a par with a petrol.
Tartansporran

Post by Tartansporran »

You could be correct as the standard software for the gearbox was not great and I think should have been improved on as a free upgrade at the first convenient dealer service. Typically on demanding moderate acceleration (not flooring it) the car would rev to 4000revs (Redline 4800) and there would be a significant delay before this power was transmitted through to the wheels. This made overtaking an issue as there was no instant acceleration. Now in the same scenario the car will rev to 3000 with the power transmitted straight away to the wheels.
XC40 D4 R-Design Pro First Edition, Osmium Grey, 19” Wheels
Deleted User 4737

I hear what you say, but that was never my experience driving a D4. Yes it was a bit sluggish compared to the petrol B4, but still plenty of low-down shove instantly without any delay, overtaking on motorways was one of its strongest attributes.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Does that power and no lag improvement come only when you choose the Polestar driving mode or it is on by default?
They tried to sell me the Polestar upgrade on a 250 EUR discount some year ago, but I didn't think it was worth the money for my 2018 D4, since my driving is 80% on highways with constant speed.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
Deleted User 4737

Polestar treatment is mapping optimisation of the engine and gearbox that will sharpen both responses, you don't have to switch it on. It will also improved torque distribution of the AWD system. Is it worth it, well it does improve the D4's driving very noticeably, especially mid-range, but it depends how long you will keep the car. You may of course recoup some of the outlay come sale time, but only marginally.