Main dealer closing for 6 months!

The place to discuss everything else..
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I tried today to book my car in for it’s annual service and mot in the first week of October only to be told that the dealers (Marshall Volvo, Nottingham) are closing their site on the 29th September for 6 months for refurbishment. Staff are being redeployed to other branches. Luckily they had a few slots left at the end of September and I got one on their last day before closing but was warned that if the car fails the mot I will have to take it to another dealer for any repairs…
Fingers crossed 🤞🏼
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Surprised a dealer can afford to shut for 6 months.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I think Volvo are insisting on major showroom upgrades. Marshalls Welwyn Garden City are becoming service only with sales staff moving to Cambridge. Our local outfit - Doves Horsham - became service only some time ago. Allegedly because they could not justify the investment Volvo demanded for new showroom facilities. My suspicion is that with the move to an agency model Volvo dont think they need so many showrooms but there is still a need for repairs/servcing.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

...Industry blurb has it that they're actually moving to less constrained premises on Enterprise Way (off Queens Drive, and near JLR/Merc, etc). The existing premises to be "repurposed" (and the new ones not yet ready - planning permission only recently having been granted).
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Sherwood wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:00 pm ...Industry blurb has it that they're actually moving to less constrained premises on Enterprise Way (off Queens Drive, and near JLR/Merc, etc). The existing premises to be "repurposed" (and the new ones not yet ready - planning permission only recently having been granted).
They were granted planning permission for refurbishment. The plans included bringing the servicing into a nice shiny white floor workshop all viewable from the waiting area through big glass windows, like they have at Cambridge and presumably lots of other locations now. Having your car worked on out the back through a grubby little door marked 'no entry' is now insufficiently premium.
Last edited by jamie307 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I received a video of my last service.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, I did as well. Audi have been doing it for years.

The difference in the customer experience for me between Volvo and Audi is like chalk and cheese with the latter being excellent. I guess it depends on individual dealers though.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
percymon

Post by percymon »

I'd rather take mine to a older showroom / service area with some customer values, than some over priced corporate glass house where the customer is over charged in order to pay for the expresso machine and rubber plants

Porsche did this move 15+ years ago, silly hourly labour rates etc etc. At least you can now see the technicians dropping your alloy wheels on their faces and the underbody coverings falling to the floor when the vehicle is raised up on the lift. With the move to online sales I'm really surprised these huge greenhouses keep going up
Spike56

Post by Spike56 »

Parkside (HSF Group) are also closing, but they are also moving to Eltham. Their current showroom is very out of date, and they now have huge stock on a tiny dilapidated forecourt. The much newer showrooms in Tonbridge and Leatherhead do put them to shame! However I also live in Orpington, love the staff and will be sorry to see them move. Might as well buy your car from a catalogue! It's all too clinical for me.