Gearbox Fault

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Girvy1

Post by Girvy1 »

HI Buzbox. No I don't coast due to the roads I commute on. Its booked in for the 30th so the garage can have a look. My wallet is trembling already !!

Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Good to hear, its not advisable to ever coast a torque converter in neutral. Its still under warranty so that should help, and if you intend to keep the car you could always look to extend it.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

BuzBox wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:46 pm There are considerable differences and too many to list i.e. size, shape, location, all the internals - you would need to see pics and watch vids to see the vast difference. You also get a sense that the AWD one is more robust and the better box. Good to hear it may be a software glitch. As you were at a standstill and stuck in sixth, the bang was probably the noise of the actuators forcing it back to first? Just a thought, you don't coast in neutral by any chance?
Isn't TG-81SC the code that Volvo give to the Aisin automatic transmission used on a number of other vehicles. Not aware that a specific AWD variant exists?
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Metroman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:15 am Isn't TG-81SC the code that Volvo give to the Aisin automatic transmission used on a number of other vehicles. Not aware that a specific AWD variant exists?
TG-81SC for FWD and AWF8G30 for AWD.
Metroman

Post by Metroman »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:38 am
Metroman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:15 am Isn't TG-81SC the code that Volvo give to the Aisin automatic transmission used on a number of other vehicles. Not aware that a specific AWD variant exists?
TG-81SC for FWD and AWF8G30 for AWD.
The specification for the XC40 at launch lists the TG-81SC transmission is used in both T5 and D4 AWD vehicles
https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/ ... volvo-xc40
XC40 D3 Inscription Pro Auto in Denim Blue with Convenience, Xenium and Intellisafe pro packs plus smartphone integration , tinted rear windows and spare wheel.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

The specs I have for the 2021 MY indicate that the "T" series were fitted with the AWF8G30 box, and the "B" series with the AWF8G45 (in both FWD and AWD guise, the latter with a "bolt-on" transfer box). I think the difference reflects the significant uplift in maximum torque on the "B" series, which appears to be on the limit for the 830 version.

The TG-81xx nomenclature is simply Volvo's naming of these boxes.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

I stand corrected, my assumption for only FWD and only AWD gearbox codes was wrong.
Deleted User 4737

Post by Deleted User 4737 »

Aisin 8-speed box's for FWD and AWD are different, the code TG-81SC will be a Volvo own code. Aisin original code for the 8-speed FWD is AWF8F35, it was the worlds first 8-speed auto specifically designed for FWD, the XC40 would use a later higher torque version of this, also used by many marques. AWF8G30 is an Aisin box that has a transfer case and used for the AWD.
Stovo

Post by Stovo »

Blimey, you guys discussing gearbox codes, do you have a television? 😂😂 BTW am sure very helpful and informative for those who need to know such information.