B4P Mild Hybrid Jump Start

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

This is definitely a change to coasting then, and sounds more like my wife's VW which is also random about when it deploys, maybe related to the dual clutch gearbox now fitted, which she also has? The version in the earlier B4's with the TC is very consistent, doesn't happen at lower speeds around town, once you get a bit faster it releases every time you lift off, and engages again every time you touch the accelerator or brake. But revs never drop to zero, only idle.

Don't forget though as soon as you do light braking you will get engine regeneration braking, saving on your pads. You should see the blue arrow under the battery icon (assuming AAOS still has this on the dash)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

That's the thing I don't think you do get regeneration. I've noticed the blue arrows at other times when braking but not when coasting. Going out soon so I'll have another look. When coasting there is absolutely no retardation which is what I don't like. Afterall when you lift off the throttle it's because you want to slow down and maybe come to a stop, you don't necessarily want to maintain speed or even increase it!

Personally I think they've gone too far with it. They seem to have focussed on maximising fuel efficiency and hence reducing emissions but have lost sight of the drivability. Its good to be able to coast but there's a time and a place and as the driver you should be able to select it. Infact I was getting a bit annoyed with it the other day and having to brake harder than I'm used to in similar situations.

JFDIT - you've done quite a few miles now, how do you find it?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

I think if you press the brake pedal very lightly whilst coasting you can get the regeneration to light up without the engine cutting in but I'll have to double check.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I just let it do it's thing. I find it works OK, regen only happens when you touch the brakes. Given it, like all other new cars, is so far away from what I would choose to drive I've been forced to give in to the nutters out there that reckon me driving this rubbish will save the planet.
Having said that if I want to turn off coasting I Tap the accelerator.

Good job I'm not bitter... But come the revolution....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

You're right folks, it does do regen under braking when coasting, well sometimes!

And on one occassion when coasting and braking, not on a particularly steep gradient, the engine did restart which is contrary to what's in the manual!

As you say John, just got to put up with it.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
VloMo

Post by VloMo »

The engine is on if you need to go faster. Looks like the mild hybrids will coast with the engine off if you need to stay at the same speed - likely slightly down hill and if you need to slow the car will regen before braking so you will likely save on brake pads.

I’m finding mine great, the pick up is awesome, the engine is so smooth you can’t notice it move in and out of coast and the coast and regen means better fuel economy.