Condensation inside tailgate

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
igaren

Post by igaren »

Got in Car today (2023 XC40 Recharge plus) to find condesation inside the tailgate. Initially thought it was outside but rear wiper didnt do the Job. When i open the tailgate there was heavy condesation which needed wiping off.
Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience please
Thank you
My23 XC40 Recharge Plus

gedger

Post by gedger »

I have on a previous Golf and it turned out to be a badly fitted pollen filter that was allowing rainwater into the car. On sunny days the car heated up and the water condensed on the inside of the windows. Nothing on the XC40 but then I now keep it in a garage. Run your hand over all the carpets and check none of them are wet.
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Can get condensation on rear window if you've had wet clothes/shoes etc in the boot
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
igaren

Post by igaren »

gedger wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:43 pm I have on a previous Golf and it turned out to be a badly fitted pollen filter that was allowing rainwater into the car. On sunny days the car heated up and the water condensed on the inside of the windows. Nothing on the XC40 but then I now keep it in a garage. Run your hand over all the carpets and check none of them are wet.
Morning
Thank you I did check on carpet and it was not wet
thanks
My23 XC40 Recharge Plus
igaren

Post by igaren »

blastpipe wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:57 pm Can get condensation on rear window if you've had wet clothes/shoes etc in the boot
Morning
Thank you
I don't have these in car, I will take picture and check with dealers
Thanks
My23 XC40 Recharge Plus
percymon

Post by percymon »

Cold overnight temperatures, the direction of the sunrise on the vehicle can all contribute to one area being heavily condensated and others not. Also choice of glass cleaner can influence the propensity for fogging.

Thom Iov on youtube also reports he gets a lot more fogging on his current car than others he's owned/tested
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

percymon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 am
Thom Iov on youtube also reports he gets a lot more fogging on his current car than others he's owned/tested
The large fixed glass roof in C40 creates more condensation in the car compared to a normal textile padded roof. The OP doesn’t mention condensation overhead, only inside tailgate. I guess moisture might be leaking into the trunk, either from top (rain) or from bottom (spray).
percymon

Post by percymon »

eugen61 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:38 pm
percymon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:34 am
The large fixed glass roof in C40 creates more condensation in the car compared to a normal textile padded roof. The OP doesn’t mention condensation overhead, only inside tailgate. I guess moisture might be leaking into the trunk, either from top (rain) or from bottom (spray).
Thom doesnt just talk about the pano roof, its a general concern he has.

I dont have an issue with my C40, on any glass surface - i dont get any misting when driving with fan speed on 2 and the air con off). No misting in the mornings - even when its hit 0'C overnight and my car gets the first rays of sun in the morning.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

percymon wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:10 pm I dont have an issue with my C40, on any glass surface - i dont get any misting when driving with fan speed on 2 and the air con off). No misting in the mornings - even when its hit 0'C overnight and my car gets the first rays of sun in the morning.
Good to know. I was under the impression that such big roof glass surfaces (like Tesla’s) might create condensation issues inside the cabin, at the same time expecting manufacturers to solve this with proper venting and AC usage. I remember complaining in my first summer of XC40 ownership how bad the AC was. It turned out to be a typical “I know better” mistake by setting the auto fan speed to 1 instead of Volvo’s recommended 2 :roll: