Faulty Battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks, at least you could get into it and drive it then.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Yes, in my case the problem was not as severe as in yours.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Just had some luck. Tried to open the door with the metal key a few times and couldn't . It was fiddly the other day.

So l rang the sales guy, who is very good and he said it sounds like the fob. I said I doubt it as I replaced the batteries in both fobs not that long ago using Duracell and neither of them work. Agreed to change one though as a quick and easy check. And guess what, it did work, I couldn't believe it! What threw me as well is that the car recognised the key, albeit it slowly, once I'd gotten inside which made me think the problem was elsewhere. Mightily relieved as you can guess.

Next course of action would have been Volvo OnCall and evidently they usually carry support batteries on board and will replace on the drive! Failing that it would be transport to local dealer which I'm not getting my new car from.

So lesson learnt and don't replace both fob batteries at the same time!

As an aside my Triumph motorbike has keyless ignition (crazy I know!) and that tells me on the dash when the fob battery is getting low!

If I had gained access I would have put the charger on but would have it in the back of my mind that there was still a problem with the support battery which I would have been worried about as I needed some fuel and then the trip to the dealer.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Thanks for sharing. Good learning indeed, it proved to be an easy fix.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

It certainly was. My first thought was the fob but that was dismissed as soon as I tried my spare.

I always take the spare on holidays etc., that would have been a lot of use wouldn't it!

With the latest cars you don't get the two "main" keys do you?