Faulty Charging Cable

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
btimjones

Post by btimjones »

After I took delivery of my new XC40 Plug-In Hybrid In December 2022 I experienced intermittent charging problems using the supplied 3-pin plug "granny" cable. Sometimes the battery would charge from 0% to 100% without a hitch but at other times the charging process kept stopping with a message to my phone telling me to unplug the cable and plug it in again. Sometimes charging would start again automatically after a while but at other times I did have to unplug the cable and plug it in again to restart charging. I also noticed that the mains plug was very hot after charging had stopped. When the problem started I called the dealer, said that I suspected that the charging cable was faulty and asked if they had a spare which I could borrow to see if the problem also occurred with a different cable. The dealer said that it was probably a problem with the electrics in my house which I needed to get tested and that they did not have a loan cable. I was pretty sure that my house electrics were OK having recently had a new consumer unit installed and all circuits tested and I did not want to incur the expense of getting an electrician round. I also tried plugging the cable into different sockets on different circuits and got exactly the same intermittent problems wherever I plugged it in. Eventually the dealer told me to bring the car in and tested it using my cable and another cable but was unable to replicate the fault, unsurprisingly since it was intermittent. When I picked the car up I finally managed to persuade someone to lend me a spare cable and - surprise, surprise - it has been working perfectly for several weeks with my house electrics. The dealer has now accepted that the supplied cable must be faulty and agreed to replace it under warranty. I appreciate that charging problems can have many different causes including the cable, the electrical supply and the car itself but it would have saved everyone a lot of time, trouble and expense if the dealer had lent me a spare cable when I first asked as a quick, easy and inexpensive way to eliminate the first potential cause. I am only posting this in case any one else has a similar problem to advise them that, whatever the dealer says, charging cables are sometimes faulty. Otherwise I am delighted with my new car.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Can appreciate your frustration, but unfortunately it’s not as simple as them having a spare cable nowadays, everything has to be approved and accounted for,

Do agree, it would be a good idea for them to have a spare cable that they can loan out for a few weeks if someone is having issues, to rule out the original cable being faulty…

Good you got it sorted out 👍🏻
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

It's always a battle isn't it!

As usual first statement is that it's your fault in some way. Poor customer service. :(
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Timmos

Post by Timmos »

I never have a problem with my D3 LOL