The "C" Pillars

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Just canvassing thoughts from those that have seen the XC40 in real life. I was reflecting on two aspects that I had thought about on the viewing day but then pushed to one side as being minor when making the overall purchasing decision. [The first one was a very minor niggle that the glovebox was very small, plastic, and just didn't feel very robust and would fall apart in no time - yes I know of all the things one could quibble about......but it seemed cheap] The second which was on my hit list before I arrived was rear visability particularly with those massive C pillars. I am not talking about the external "kick up" but simply the size of the pillars themselves and the all important view to the rear whilst driving, or more importantly reversing

At the time I felt that it wasn't as bad as some of the early review comments were suggesting, though struck me that there was likely going to be more reliance on side mirrors, and the rear camera, than I am used too. Much prefer arm over passenger seat and look back.) It may have been that I am just moving from a non-SUV vehicle and so everything in the back looked a bit more restrictive. I am sure the shorter length pulls those pillars even closer.

What were others view on this?

[As for the external "kick up" on the back door - testing to us suggested not a problem for an adult in the back, not sure though if you were a small child - it might be rather restrictive views to the side. ]
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18

jim4244

Post by jim4244 »

You want to drive a car with atrocious rear visibility then try an Evoque! lol

Jim
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

jim4244 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:37 pm You want to drive a car with atrocious rear visibility then try an Evoque! lol

Jim
Do you know JIm i was thinking you would pitch in with that example. (made me smile)
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
jim4244

Post by jim4244 »

Don’t get me wrong, our Evoque has been very reliable and never missed a beat but the model is starting to look a little dated and a completely new Evoque is due in late 2019. This was one of the factors that made us consider a move from Land Rover as we did not want to buy a new car that would be discontinued in the near future.

As for the XC40........ welll....... I think that we are all dipping our toe into the water without knowing the depth. None of us have driven the beastie and only a few have actually seen one up close. In a previous thread I mentioned that we have ordered ours “Subject to test drive” just in case we feel that we can’t live with the looks, performance or handling, however the more I read about the car and see photos and videos the more I like it. Mrs Jim has the final say in the matter but I think that she is of the same mindset about the car as me.

I think that residual values will be high during the first 2 years (just like the Evoque when it was launched) so if we run it for 6 months and feel that we can’t live with it we will sell it on and probably go for a VW Tiguan or new model Audi Q3.

Jim