My first Volvo

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
gedger

Post by gedger »

Greetings from Norfolk,

After much deliberation and test drives I'm now the proud owner of a 2023 XC40 B4 Plus AWD in Fjord Blue. It's a dealer demonstrator / loan car and wouldn't have been my first choice of colour or extras but I wanted AWD and Volvo annoyingly stopped selling them new. It has the 360 camera and BLISS with 19 inch wheels with the black suede interior. Had a Volvo tow bar fitted for caravan towing duties. Managed to work most things out so far with thanks to the forum but I'm sure there will some questions in the near future...
2023 XC40 Plus B4 AWD 19" 360 BLIS Tow bar Fjord Blue

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Enjoy your new motor 👍🏻
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Welcome. What else did you try and did anything come close?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

Other cars investigated/drive were, Audi Q3, BMW X1, X2, X3, VW T-Roc, Tiguan. I liked the Q3 a lot but I couldn't get the 2 litre petrol engine with AWD unless I went for higher spec. which then came with very low profile tyres and sports suspension which I didn't find comfortable. The X1 ticked all the boxes but I just didn't warm to it, couldn't put my finger on why really. Didn't like the X2 at all and the X3 seems to have grown both in size and cost. The T-Roc did much better than I was expecting, it has a new interior which is much improved and is available with a 2 litre AWD option on standard wheels and suspension. Great value as well, but I kept feeling it was a Golf on steroids. The Tiguan was a bit big and seemed a rather dated to me. The XC40, stood out as the most comfortable both for interior and ride, the chunky looks also appealed. The standard list of features also hit the sweet spot. I was gutted when I went to order one to be told that the AWD was no longer available. I had to search through the Volvo used list and find the closest match.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Pretty extensive research then. I came to Volvo after many VWs and Audis and a Skoda because I couldn't get what I wanted, including having a panoramic roof being forced on me. Pity it's included in the top spec XC40 now along with 20" wheels, neither of which I want. Frustratingly many manufacturers include pano roofs in their higher specs and our choice of options is very limited now because of the fuel and emissions tests which mean manufacturers are mainly just offering "standard" trim level packages. I dont understand the logic of some of them though. Fortunately the car I've recently ordered pretty much included everything I wanted.

I did look at the Tiguan and like them, but when I saw one in the show room I thought my wife would think it too big. Ended up with the XC40 which I don't think is much smaller? New Tiguan is due out soon.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
gedger

Post by gedger »

I agree, the Tiguan seems a lot bigger than it actually is, in reality only 50-60mm longer. I also considered an Evoque but having seen the number of issues someone locally had with theirs I ruled it out on reliability grounds, research showed this isn't uncommon, shame really as it's a great car.

It's one thing I like about VW, you can buy the base car and then add the extras you want or buy a higher spec. trim and get them as standard with some you don't. Most manufacturers, Volvo included, force you down their choice trims!
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I wouldn't be surprised if VAG go increasingly down that route though as testing the various permutations is very expensive.

I did price up a Skoda Karoq recently, to a similar spec to my new car, and it was well over £40k! At least you can still get discounts on VWG cars, though they are rumoured to be considering moving to the agency model. They are probably waiting to see how it affects other manufacturers sales.

After my next car (wouldn't be surprised if the XC40 is dropped by then) and Volvos likely increased production being in China, I will most likely be moving back to a European manufacturer and return to VAG. Too many uncertainties for me with a car being built in China.

I don't know what it is with JLR. They have had this reputation for what seems like forever and they don't seem to address it. They seem to sell plenty though so perhaps they don't care!