Need to lock the car in the garage?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Hello!
My new car (B4 Mild Hybrid Plus in Vapour Grey colour) has finally arrived, so far I am really happy with it but have to get used to the bigger physical dimensions especially the width of the car.
One thing I am not sure about is locking the car in the garage. I always kept all my previous cars unlocked (the garage is part of our house so it was absolutely safe to do so), so whenever I wanted to put in or take out anything from the car, I didn't need the car key to open the door or the boot.
But now I was warned by the local Volvo dealer that I should never leave the car unlocked in the garage because it will drain the battery fairly quickly so if I don't use the car for a couple of days I won't be able to start it. He explained that if the car is not locked, all the sensors stay awake which means they use quite a bit of electricity and can flatten the battery in less than a week.
Is it really so serious or just a myth? Do you all, always and everywhere keep your car locked for this reason or you can ensure me that it is not needed at all and does not affect the battery status? Thanks for your comments.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I don't know about the XC40 but I managed to flatten the battery on my son's new Mazda 2 overnight when I failed to lock it properly. I think the radio etc. stayed on.

It's no big deal taking the key out to the car is it? Be careful of the powered tailgate!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Plus you’ll keep getting notifications on the app saying the car is unlocked
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

What do salesmen know? Only half a story usually. I've left mine unlocked for days, (we're hidden away in such a backwater there's been no crime in our village in more than a decade!) and mine has never shown signs of going flat.

Oh, and BTW the B's have a 48 v battery exclusively for starting, and a full size 12v battery for everything else unlike the prior system of the 12v battery and a small bike battery for support.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
percymon

Post by percymon »

Firstly I'd be surprised if your insurance company will cover theft if the vehicle isnt locked

Secondly - most modern cars have various states of shutdown, often shutting down more and more of their systems over a period of time after locking.

You could use a battery maintainer but connecting/disconnecting that seems more of an effort than simply locking the car.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

percymon wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:21 am Firstly I'd be surprised if your insurance company will cover theft if the vehicle isnt locked

Secondly - most modern cars have various states of shutdown, often shutting down more and more of their systems over a period of time after locking.
I still query whether it needs to be actually locked. I watch many youtube videos on car diagnostics, especially a few chasing parasitic draws, and they all leave the car closed but never locked to allow it to go to deep sleep.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
percymon

Post by percymon »

Well only your insurance company can advise on that, or reading your policy documents.

Stating the car is stored in a locked garage doesnt mean you shouldnt also secure the vehicle
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Totally agree with @ percymon, if your cars not locked and something happens, I’m sure it’ll cause issues with the insurance company.
I would strongly suggest you read your policy.

With regards to draining the battery if it’s not locked - yes, I suspect it will, the car knows it’s not locked, as you receive messages to tell you - which I think is an excellent security detail, so it’s monitoring and not shutting completely down.

Look how many brand new cars are on trickle charges in the showrooms…
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Why wouldn't you lock it?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

This whole discussion wasn't about the insurance if you don't lock it, only if the battery will go flat if you don't. Forget the insurance angle forcheaven sake!