Auto Headlights in rain

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Having a bright day outside with pouring rain I put the topic to the test. With light switch on Auto, wipers on Auto and wipers moving without interruption for 10 minutes only my daylights (Thor Hammer LED) were on and my dipped beam headlights were off. So at least on my MY20 Sensus OS car rain does not activate dipped beam headlights. Auto lights system seem to take into account only surrounding light, a darker sky is needed for the headlights to turn on.

Maybe MY23-24 with its updated sensors responds to rain only. The dash light indicator change suggested by the OP could be easily implemented in the AAOS models, I can only hope Volvo reads this forum and takes owner’s feedback seriously.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks for doing the test, it confirms my thoughts.

I've looked at the latest manual and no changes to how the lights are activated.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I've been in the torrential Essex rain this afternoon and can confirm my AAOS 24MY is exactly the same as eugen61 described.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

That's going to make me rethink then, coming from a long term VW which did turn them on in heavy rain.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

At least the Thor driving lights are on, and they're very bright. And the rear lights are on, which is probably the most important thing.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:55 am At least the Thor driving lights are on, and they're very bright. And the rear lights are on, which is probably the most important thing.
That’s a good observation. Sweden has a decades long tradition with cars being regulated to always drive with headlights on, I would guess Volvo knows what is doing. Before my XC40 I had VAG cars where auto lights followed a different logic, front daylight on with rear lights off. This setup needed to turn the night time lights on during rain in order to been seen from the rear. At the same time, front daylight on VAG cars were way less brighter than Volvo’s Thor Hammer. So most probably Volvo’s auto lights logic works well and can be trusted. But I still consider the lack of dipped beam indicator on the dashboard a miss.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I have always had my lights on the auto setting. I also have the auto main beam permanently on (and auto wipers). The same as my last Volvo, and the one before that. I’d assumed the lights would do whatever the conditions required of them. It seems I was wrong and for years I’ve been driving in rain (including motorways) without dipped headlights. Now I feel stupid.

A few weeks ago, I was driving in torrential rain on Orkney and a couple of drivers coming in the opposite direction flashed me. I couldn’t understand why at the time, but now it makes sense.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

JFDIT wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:55 am At least the Thor driving lights are on, and they're very bright. And the rear lights are on, which is probably the most important thing.
I did not know this, are the rear lights on permanently like the front DRL's?

I will have to check this when I get home, great if they are.

On my Skoda company car you have a setting to tick that pots the lights on with the windscreen wipers and it has a blooming indicator that shows if the lights are on,this is definitely a but crap in the Volvo
MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

AndyN wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:15 pm I did not know this, are the rear lights on permanently like the front DRL's?
With light switch on Auto, yes. With light switch on Off (0) only front DRL Thor Hammer is on.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Maybe Volvo could change the dash light on the next update!!
Just a thought: When it’s dark enough for the “auto” headlight to switch themselves on, the drivers display dims and the sat nav goes into dark mode (if being used). It sometimes does this when driving under trees on a bright day. Surely this is a indication the the headlights are on.

Perhaps Volvos’s logic is the DLR are sufficient until the rain gets so heavy it activates the dusk sensor.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.