Auto gear knob

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
dctyke

Post by dctyke »

Hi all

Had my new b3 plus mild hybrid for three weeks now. A bit disappointed with the plain plastic gear knob compared to older models with a leather one or even crystal. To change I’m told the whole (expensive) electronic unit has to be replaced. I’ve seen a clip over carbon fibre shell for £60 which I’m not so keen on. Anyone seen any other alternatives? I’ve also seen just the knob but I’m told it’s near impossible to get the old one off, anyone done that?
Apart from that the only thing I’m not keen on is the seat fabric, but I new what I was getting with a pre-ordered car.

JB XC40

Post by JB XC40 »

Agreed. I think the gear selector lets the side down. I would have gone for the leather interior to get the Crystal gear selector but really don’t like the cream headlining. I did look into it briefly before mine arrived and it looks really easy to swap the whole gear selector unit however it looks like new models are not plug and play so gave up looking. I still can’t see why a you couldn’t not swap a brand B4 crystal selector from a leather trimmed car to a Dark themed B4 though?
Won’t be me who buys one to see though!!
Ordered Volvo XC40 B4 Mild Hybrid Ultimate Dark
Silver Dawn 20” 5 Double Spoke Alloys
Delivered July 2023
AndyN

Post by AndyN »

I know the gear shifter works differently for the newer model, you don't need to push it twice but if it is installed in the same way it seems pretty easy to swap, you would just need to find a new one to fit.

MY21 T5 Recharge R Design Pro in Bursting Blue with all the options. I have added mud flaps, floor and boot protection and Polestar, with 2 years service and warranty.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

More and more I'm discovering reasons to hang on to my current model. This is just the latest item on the list.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, that's why I hesitated for so long! But have to admit when I looked at the specs. in detail they are good (better than many manufactures) and by going for the Plus got want I wanted. Will still miss the details from my existing car and the paddles!!!

That gear selector really is penny pinching though. They could at least of used the same leather free material as on the steering wheel rather than matching other plastics. Had to laugh at the way they describe the Sculpted selector!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.