Quality of finish under the front seats

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

Brand new XC40 - five weeks ago.
Sat in the rear driver seat today for the first time - just to see what is was like.
Really disappointed at the finish under the driver seat. An exposed box of electronics for the front seat adjustments with wire connections clearly visible and quite open to being damaged by any adult feet and inquisitive children.
And what I can only describe as a loose plastic funnel for the rear heat distribution - on both sides.
Just gave the impression of not being finished properly.
Not what I expected from VOLVO - at all!

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Yeah, it’s not matching the overall quality of the car. It’s been like this since first gen XC40, not the result of latest cost cutting initiatives (no automatic louvers, no under bonnet insulation, no windshield ticket holder, etc.)
Grampa

Post by Grampa »

Poor!
Thank you
percymon

Post by percymon »

Same issue was picked up by the Fifth Gear team in their road test review - not looked at my C40, but i suspect my seating position is far enough back to hide the majority of the electronics from rear seat passengers. May have to get some Tesa tape to smarten things up a little though.
Perky

Post by Perky »

The edges of the bonnet at the back are also poorly finished. Asymmetric gaps between the rear cluster lights and car body, the list goes on. It is generally poorly finished.
T4 AWD Oct 2019
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Noticed the under seat mess, but not those last comments...
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
JB XC40

Post by JB XC40 »

percymon wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:15 pm Same issue was picked up by the Fifth Gear team in their road test review - not looked at my C40, but i suspect my seating position is far enough back to hide the majority of the electronics from rear seat passengers. May have to get some Tesa tape to smarten things up a little though.
Not got mine yet. It’s built and in the U.K though 😁 I found a photo on another post. Is this what you are referring too?
agree with the above. A bit of Tesa tape and about 10 mins will fix this easily. Is it both seats?

IMG_0388.jpeg

Ordered Volvo XC40 B4 Mild Hybrid Ultimate Dark
Silver Dawn 20” 5 Double Spoke Alloys
Delivered July 2023
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Mine only has the amp for the sound system under the driver's seat. See pics. Quite neat wiring. Guess they could have put a cover over the back but it is low and can't get hit with feet when the seat is in its normal position. The alloy case is also a heat sink so needs ventilation.

Regards the "loose funnel" for rear ventilation, I believe they are deliberately loose so should they kicked they don't break. I've had other cars deploying exactly the same approach. But I'm sure there are other ways that may be considered better

PXL_20230701_082334431.jpg

PXL_20230701_082206256.jpg

XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

It does seem odd but these cars have been on the market for a few years now with this same design and they haven't seen the need to change it which suggests that they really haven't had any issues with it.

Indeed unless you move the seat really far forward or get down into the footwell, you really can't see it so is it really an issue?
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Wish that was all I had to worry about.