Inscription - Soft Suspension?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Trev864

Post by Trev864 »

We are looking at buying a 2020 T3 Inscription. It has the standard 18 inch wheels
I understand it has a softer ride than the R design which has a stiffer chassis. We want the features the Inscription has such as the full leather seats
My other half can be prone to travel sickness. In view of that do any Inscription owners have any thoughts please on the softness of the ride on twisty roads? I know its an SUV not a sports car but don't want it to feel too soft and bouncy either with too much body roll.
If it helps we currently have a 2015 XC60 D5 AWD SE lux on 18 inch wheels which seems quite a firm ride to us

aj05

Post by aj05 »

Hi having driven an 850R and a v70T5 for many years i have found the suspension on my xc40 inscription to be softer but quite acceptable and to be honest with the state of the roads I dont think I would enjoy the ride in the 850 now. . I think the point is the suspension is softer than an R but not soft it wont wallow around and an SUV is not going to be driven like a fast saloon/estate car . The best solution I think to answer your quandary would be to test drive a car you intend to purchase which would allow your partner to see if she is happy with the ride
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I took both out when I was buying mine - the inscription is definitely softer than the r-design, but not an excessive amount.
Best advice is to take it for a drive and if you can, go down rural roads where the roads up and down with bends etc, rather than just the motorway
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

The difference isn't huge.

I have an Inscription on 19" wheels and it doesn't "float" along.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Before purchasing my XC40 I was concerned about the standard suspension softness and test drove both versions (Inscription & R-Design) before ordering. The standard suspension on Inscription proved to be way too soft for my taste. Back in 2019 stiff suspension (sport suspension, standard on R-Design) was on the optional equipment list so I was able to add it to my Momentum trim. Interestingly enough, at that time FourC hydraulic suspension was also available as optimal equipment, but the following years both options were removed by Volvo.

As previous posters suggested, try to test the car for a long drive together with your other half to find out how it feels.
Trev864

Post by Trev864 »

Andy40 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:11 pm I took both out when I was buying mine - the inscription is definitely softer than the r-design, but not an excessive amount.
Best advice is to take it for a drive and if you can, go down rural roads where the roads up and down with bends etc, rather than just the motorway
Which model did you choose?
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Trev864 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:07 pm
Andy40 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:11 pm I took both out when I was buying mine - the inscription is definitely softer than the r-design, but not an excessive amount.
Which model did you choose?
R-Design and on the standard 18” wheels - really did not want the 20” wheels
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Having had a D3R and B4 Inscription, both on 18" rims, I haven't noticed any difference at all!