Brake pedal behaviour

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Josh.

Post by Josh. »

When I used to get in the car, I would be able to depress the foot brake to the floor to press the keyless start button and turn the engine on. Obviously when the engine is off, the foot brake becomes harder and harder to depress as the servo isn’t active.

For the last few days or so, the foot brake feels as hard to depress on the first push as it used to after maybe the third or fourth.

Has anyone else experienced this or could help explain this change? Is it anything to be concerned about?

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

My brake pedal never went to the floor… ?
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Never went to the floor, but normally a small amount of travel, though on 2 occasions it's been rock hard at the top, with no give, then trying again it suddenly gives a little.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Josh.

Post by Josh. »

I guess not to the floor, but would travel down noticeably. At the moment it won’t travel at all and is solid when you press against it until I switch the engine on at which point it softens. Definitely a change over the last week.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Yes, I have this. Sometimes the brake pedal pushes down a bit but other times it's solid. When solid I have to push quite hard or the car won't start.

May have something to do with how long the car has been standing? First start of the day I sometimes get the solid pedal.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
I have experienced this on occasions, it’s never caused me any problems, I think that the last time that it happened I took my foot off the brake pedal and pressed it again and it was normal.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Josh.

Post by Josh. »

It seems to be happening every morning or when the car has been standing for several hours. So it could have something to do with the fact the foot brake hasn’t been used in a while. Just thought I’d reach out as it’s something that I haven’t experienced in the near 24 months of owning the car, but it’s just started to happen now.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Yes, my 2020/1 B4 awd behaves like this.