Thoughts on the B4

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

My local dealer is trying really hard to get me to trade in my XC40 for a new one. I’m not sure I want another XC40 so I’m looking online for information on the latest B4 model to see if I can sort out the pros & cons of upgrading.

My first idea was to download the latest manual for the B4 from Volvo but I can’t find a downloadable version, just a useless online “explore the manual” option. No detail whatsoever in there, waste of space IMHO.

From the small amount of info in there it looks like there is no longer an option to play music from a USB stick on the new android Sensus. Can any of you with this system tell me if that’s the case? If it’s true then it’s a definite “no!” from me…
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Google doesn't have "native" support for playing music from a USB. Instead you simply download an app (AudioWagon) from the Playstore. So the answer is Yes, you can play music from your USB
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Rifleman - unlike when I bought my first in 2019 when you were able to download the price list and brochure and easily find out everything you wanted to know, using Volvos web-site is somewhat laborious, certainly the first time.

I've ended up using a spreadsheet and taking snips of the specifications from the aforementioned price list and brochure and the web-site to do a meaningful comparison.

I'm still not entirely happy with what I see as a step down from the R-Design in some areas but financially it's a good time to change and it will see me through until nearer the time when things really start to change in the EV market.

I've just had a look on the web-site as well, to see if I can download a manual, and as you say a waste of time. For my current car, as well as the manual on the centre display I have a copy on my tablet and PC for easy reference.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
balmoral

Post by balmoral »

I'm finding these posts interesting. Haven't posted for a long time but I've had my XC40 for nearly 5 years now so am beginning to think about what to do. Have to say that from my point of view moving onto another XC40 would seem to be a retrograde step. This forum seems to be full of posts bemoaning reduction specs, price rises and criticisms of the new Android interface. (A loan of an XC60 with google onoard didn't reassure me, I thought the google interface poor.) I'm half thinking of keeping it for another 5 years but then there is the nagging doubt of an expensive fault developing!
Inscription T5 Pine Grey Received 31/05/18
ByteTrader

Post by ByteTrader »

I have owned the B4 with 8 speed auto and now drive the same B4 with the 7-speed DSG. I think the DSG is better than the TC in the previous car particularly when overtaking in a more spirited way. Also it feels like the new gearbox is more decided in urban driving when you need to do some quick manoeuvres or move from a standstill. Other than that, they are both smooth when changing gears during regular driving. I wouldn't worry about the gearbox. What I don't like is the utter dumbness of AAOS compared to old Sensus. Many people have described the challenges so I won't rant too long about it, I just want to say that my ideal Volvo would run Sensus with integrated Google Maps.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Balmoral - that sums up the situation nicely! And the quandary!

Byte Trader - good to hear from someone who has run both autos. DSG/DCT generally drive great, it's just that I wonder about their reliability compared with a TC which is simpler and doesn't have parts that can wear out/have problems.

Have you managed to download the manual or have you only got it on the display?
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Noticed that they've changed the design of the front foglights as well, so that's the clincher! I'm keeping the R-Design!

Was seriously tempted and the test drive was booked for tomorrow but having given it more thought it doesn't make sense to change such a low-mileage car and one I really like. May be an opportunity missed but hey-ho.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

The only thing I'd throw in for consideration is how much longer will Volvo produce a Mild Hybrid? Or indeed other manufacturers. Soon there will be little choice across the market for anything other than a PHEV, Self Charging or BEV.
Having said that no reason your practical car shouldn't last 20+ years if you want it too. To be honest if I owned my XC40 rather than CbV then I'd probably just kept it running for as long as I could.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:49 pm I'm keeping the R-Design!
You won’t regret it. MY20 T4 has an engine, transmission and software that’s been fine tuned since 2015. The current mild-hybrid drivetrain with its AAOS software is still fresh technology for Volvo and needs couple of years more to mature for a problem free driving experience.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

New mild hybrids and petrol cars in general will continue to be sold until 2035 at least. Legislation to ban sales in the UK and EU have yet to be passed. The rest of the world of course will be more sensible, so plenty of time yet...
Last edited by Greggspies on Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior