What don't you like about your XC40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions

What don't you like about your XC40?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:22 pm

1. Next to nigh useless reversing lights when in complete darkness.
59%
2. Bonnet release on the nearside.......
11%
3. Uncovered components underneath the driver's seat. Just try retrieving something that has rolled down the side of the components.
30%

Total votes: 27

Oldmoondog

Post by Oldmoondog »

After 4 years I have just replaced my XC40 Inscription Pro (IP) for the new Mild Hybrid Ultimate (MHU). Whilst the driving experience is much better with far greater fuel economy and more responsive there are a couple of minor issues which I find startling.
On the IP Cruise control and Speed limiter were selectable on the steering wheel and Pilot assist was an option to select on the steering wheel whilst in Cruise. It seems the MHU only has Cruise with Pilot Assist you cannot switch off Pilot Assist and stay in Cruise.
if Pilot Assist cannot view the road markings it gets confused and starts wandering so it would be handy to switch it off but remain in cruise - especially on the French motorways.

If you want to change to Speed limiter this has to be changed in settings, which is not ideal whilst driving.

Additionally they have removed buttons in the rear compartment which gave the ability to release the seat backs. this can only be done now by opening the rear doors the access the release. _ strange!!

Maps is much better in Google and software updates can be OTA. I hope they do something about the cruise etc.

shane005

Post by shane005 »

Lack of an oil dipstick. When I wash the car and top up the washer fluid, I have to go into the sensu display to check oil (and adblue) level.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

shane005 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:09 pm Lack of an oil dipstick. When I wash the car and top up the washer fluid, I have to go into the sensu display to check oil (and adblue) level.
I never check the oil level. It’ll tell you if it’s getting low. Dipsticks are old Skool
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Oil levels and dipsticks seem to be a bone-of-contention on this forum - I'm old school and understand the critical nature of oil grade and levels needed to keep an engine happy, and to avoid expensive problems (and so) like a dipstick to check oil levels properly, and to keep the levels up towards max. Today's crew seem to me to act like oil levels are not so important and instead prefer to wait until it gets so low the engine management system has to intervene to send a warning to top-up - imagine if the system failed to warn in time, or maybe its a case of it will not fail - you would need to hope so with a new engine costing over 10k???
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Does anyone know at what level the warning appears? Our XC40 doesn't need engine oil but we have two Mercedes with electronic dipsticks. These give a reminder when the level is down by 500mls. To me that seems perfectly acceptable.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

...from the manual; "If the Engine oil level low Refill 1 litre message is shown, fill only with the specified volume, e.g. 1 litre (1 quart)".

...so the implication is that the warning message will show when the level has dropped by a litre. (Which seems quite a lot for a capacity of around 6 litres).
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I had a new BMW back in 2008 and they had got rid of the dipstick. If I recall it was mentioned that it avoided unnecessary contamination of the oil.
The central computer monitors the function of all sensors, any abnormal behaviour causes the car to take appropriate action. So in the event of an oil level sensor failure one would expect the system to throw a significant warning ⚠️.
One could argue that if you have a dipstick how often do you check it? What if major oil loss occurred intra journey? You would only be alerted by a loud banging! Similarly, perhaps we should also have a stick in the boot to check Fuel levels, just in case....
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4296

@ JFDIT, A good point you make, however never came across BMW's reasoning, maybe an April 1st moment??. Engines with dipsticks still have the same monitoring systems to alert you of low oil as the rest, so you only go bang if you ignore the warnings, but the main advantage of dipsticks is that you can check the condition of the oil too, and was one of the first things you did to check a secondhand car had been serviced - we do have the stamp in the service book though - guess we can trust those!!!
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Blimey, you can tell from the dipstick a car has been regularly serviced!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 4296

Your post seems to suggest you can't tell - blimey, perhaps that's why you don't mind dipsticks disappearing from cars - so hope you don't mind the following lesson, it may help you one day. When oil is new, like when a car has just been serviced, it is almost transparent and if you rub the oil between your fingers it will be smooth and lightly tacky, and indeed smell nice too. Used (old) oil goes from light brown to dark brown to black as it takes on combustion contaminates, it's feel between the fingers can be gritty, and it will be less tacky. Now if you are viewing a secondhand XC40 and the guy says - yes its just been serviced and new oil added - look we have even stamped the book - You can lift the bonnet pull out the dipstick and check for yourself - whoops no you can't .

I can tell if a PETROL car has been regularly service by the condition of the oil based on the mileage since the last service. If a car has been regularly serviced it's oil should look mid-brown after 5k and dark brown towards 10k, if it's not been regularly serviced then any new oil will go black very quickly as it "washes" off sludge-contaminates caused by the lack of servicing - and it will have a burnt smell - and that's the time to walk away, and also when some poor sole who aint got a clue purchases a whole lot of trouble!!