App Controlled Cabin Heating

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
GLAXC40

Post by GLAXC40 »

I have an XC40 Momentum 2018 D3 Auto (heated front seats, heated front & rear windscreen)

I have use of the Volvo App and I can press the 'fan' icon to open the 'climate' screen and I can set the 'leave in' eg 10mins then I press 'start' - the engine starts and the heated drivers seat is on and the front and rear screens defrost the ice - great :)

However - there is no cabin heat. With the engine started shouldn't it heat the cabin? The centre console doesn't allow any functions.

The heaters work fine once I actually start the car and drive but zilch using the app.

Is this correct ??
Last edited by GLAXC40 on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Cabin heat comes from the engine coolant. 10 (or even 15!) minutes at idle revs won't warm the engine enough to pass a sizeable amount of heat to the cabin.
Biggest help this remote start offers is defrosting windshield and read screen, as well as partially defrosting the front side windows so you can see in the mirrors, if nothing else.
Also when you get in the car, the seat(s) and steering wheel (if available) will provide a lot more comfort as they are already hot and won't need to work hard to warm-up.

So yeah, i'd say correct, especially in freezing temps
GLAXC40

Post by GLAXC40 »

Thanks for the reply.

During this app engine start up there is zero air blowing, not even cold air !

I was reading about a 'parking heater' and was wondering if I didn't have one.

It just seems crazy that there is absolutely no heat after a 15min warm up
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

GLAXC40 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:32 pm Thanks for the reply.

I was reading about a 'parking heater' and was wondering if I didn't have one.

It just seems crazy that there is absolutely no heat after a 15min warm up
Parking heater is something very different available in certain european countries.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

GLAXC40 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:32 pm Thanks for the reply.

Your aircon should default to its previous setting. It will only blow zero air if you previously turned the fan off.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Don't the seat heaters only come on when the seat is occupied? The light may be on, but the heating isn't.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

My My 21 B4 auto,when I pre heat from App the drivers seat,steering wheel,front and rear screen ( depending on out side temp ) all come on,I have climate set to Auto at 22 c ,fan at 3 and there is some warmth coming through,will depend somewhat how long it's been running,the climate will run at what it was set too when last used.The passenger seat can also be set to come in under climate settings.Try preheating to 15 mins and see if it helps.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I did: Mines MY21 B4, the seat heating light does come on, but the seat won't actually heat unless there's someone sitting in it.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Snow man wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:47 am My My 21 B4 auto,when I pre heat from App the drivers seat,steering wheel,front and rear screen ( depending on out side temp ) all come on,I have climate set to Auto at 22 c ,fan at 3 and there is some warmth coming through,will depend somewhat how long it's been running,the climate will run at what it was set too when last used.The passenger seat can also be set to come in under climate settings.Try preheating to 15 mins and see if it helps.
The pre heating doesn't try to get the car to the temperature set on the climate but rather a "comfortable" temperature (according to the manual)

So on a foggy freezing morning it should be noticeably warm but not at the 22º you have it set for
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

My seats heat up when empty whether as preheat or when driving.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.