Extended Warranty after 3 years

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Just a quick thought on this. We bought our T5 RDP in 2019. We took out an extended warranty as well as a 5 year service with Volvo. Whilst I’d absolutely recommend the 5 year service plan, the same cannot be said of the extended warranty. We sold our car last November (a decision I’m still coming to terms with as it was a fantastic car) but a week before our new car arrived, a Nissan Juke Hybrid, our Volvo flashed up a ‘support battery service required’ message. This error, as many will know, comes part and parcel with another fault - park assistance unavailable. A new stop/start battery was was required (as well as a main battery). The support battery was NOT covered by the extended warranty. This was and wasn’t a surprise to me. Firstly, the battery is a consumable item but if this had failed during the manufactures warranty, it would most likely have be replaced. This at the very least would have been done as a good will gesture. I wasn’t holding out much hope but had a look at the extended warranty paperwork anyway. The warranty (named ‘like for like’) covered very little. Turbo, brakes (as expected), electrical stuff etc didn’t seem to be covered. The engine however was covered. Page upon page of exclusions and only 3/4 of a page of what was covered if memory serves.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

A new Ford warranty only covers their 12v battery for 2 years or 24k miles. And some of their cheap batteries are awful.
But I agree, extended warranties only tend to be of use in the event of significant engine or drivetrain failure.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 pm Just a quick thought on this. We bought our T5 RDP in 2019. We took out an extended warranty as well as a 5 year service with Volvo. Whilst I’d absolutely recommend the 5 year service plan, the same cannot be said of the extended warranty. We sold our car last November (a decision I’m still coming to terms with as it was a fantastic car) but a week before our new car arrived, a Nissan Juke Hybrid, our Volvo flashed up a ‘support battery service required’ message. This error, as many will know, comes part and parcel with another fault - park assistance unavailable. A new stop/start battery was was required (as well as a main battery). The support battery was NOT covered by the extended warranty. This was and wasn’t a surprise to me. Firstly, the battery is a consumable item but if this had failed during the manufactures warranty, it would most likely have be replaced. This at the very least would have been done as a good will gesture. I wasn’t holding out much hope but had a look at the extended warranty paperwork anyway. The warranty (named ‘like for like’) covered very little. Turbo, brakes (as expected), electrical stuff etc didn’t seem to be covered. The engine however was covered. Page upon page of exclusions and only 3/4 of a page of what was covered if memory serves.
How are you finding the new Juke Hybrid ??
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

This is why the new Toyota/ Lexus 10-yr 100k full manufacturers warranty is a breath of fresh air, and one we can only dream other manufactures will follow. Some choose to only see a down side of such a warranty, with false beliefs that the cost of servicing is more expensive, Toyota explains that servicing costs haven’t gone up, so it won't cost any more to get the car serviced at a dealer, even better, Toyota dealers offer a price promise – they’ll match independent garage servicing prices within 10 miles.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

The extended warrantee appears to be recommended by Volvo but is actually administered by CarCarePlan Ltd.
They state: "The warranty offers full protection against the cost or replacement of any factory-fitted mechanical or
electrical component which suffers a sudden mechanical or electrical failure. Mechanical or electrical
failure means the failure of a component, causing a sudden stoppage of its function, for a reason other
than wear and tear, normal deterioration or negligence".
Reading this, I don't suppose 'electrical failure' would cover a software malfunction unless it could be attributed to a faulty chip, but I shall see if they will clarify this.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Andy40 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:52 am
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 pm Just a quick thought on this. We bought our T5 RDP in 2019. We took out an extended warranty as well as a 5 year service with Volvo. Whilst I’d absolutely recommend the 5 year service plan, the same cannot be said of the extended warranty. We sold our car last November (a decision I’m still coming to terms with as it was a fantastic car) but a week before our new car arrived, a Nissan Juke Hybrid, our Volvo flashed up a ‘support battery service required’ message. This error, as many will know, comes part and parcel with another fault - park assistance unavailable. A new stop/start battery was was required (as well as a main battery). The support battery was NOT covered by the extended warranty. This was and wasn’t a surprise to me. Firstly, the battery is a consumable item but if this had failed during the manufactures warranty, it would most likely have be replaced. This at the very least would have been done as a good will gesture. I wasn’t holding out much hope but had a look at the extended warranty paperwork anyway. The warranty (named ‘like for like’) covered very little. Turbo, brakes (as expected), electrical stuff etc didn’t seem to be covered. The engine however was covered. Page upon page of exclusions and only 3/4 of a page of what was covered if memory serves.
How are you finding the new Juke Hybrid ??
The Juke Hybrid is just fine. Build quality very good as in no squeaks and noises. Obviously the Juke isn’t a premium brand/model but it’s priced that way too. Had 62 mpg but regularly get 58mpg. The Hybrid system works very well and changes from petrol to electric seamlessly but always prioritises electric when it can. The thinner body material makes me think it won’t have the staying power of the Volvo. Our top the range Tekna + has all the tech our Volvo had except for the power tailgate and remote engine start. But it also has adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, and 360 cameras that out Volvo didn’t. Overall, we miss the Volvo but couldn’t justify the poor mpg.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Deleted User 4296

Post by Deleted User 4296 »

Your body panels will be thinner but made from stronger steel - typical for hybrid weight loss to achieve extended mpg. The Volvo is very heavy and contributes significantly towards it's very poor mpg figures?
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The difference is visible in the EURONCAP crash (identical test on both cars).

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

I have spoken to a Technical Assessor at CarCarePlan and he said software issues would be covered. I don’t have it in writing of course but it is promising.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Has anybody got any evidence as to how long manufacturers will guarantee regular Software Updates? (BMW Tech wouldn't commit when asked, what about Toyota?)

Our shiny new Laptops on Wheels may well expire before its batteries or even ICE give up!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.