Confused about engine and transmission options

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

thepiman wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:37 pm
D3 and D4 have the same 2.0 l 4 cylinder diesel engine but with different output, 150 hp for D3 and 190 hp for D4.
Only D3 is available with manual gearbox.

That's helpful, thanks. So I guess it's a question of whether I'm happy to compromise on hp in favour of manual and go for the T3 1.5litre petrol which only has 163hp, or get the D4 for the extra hp. The D4 is significantly punchier, but I can't help thinking that automatic will annoy me. Both my wife and I have always driven manuals, except occasionally when renting a car in the USA on holiday, where they are always automatics.

Has anybody converted from manual to auto and never looked back? Although whatcar.com's long term review of the D4 was positive, even they commented on the "rather slow-witted automatic gearbox that frequently lets the engine rev higher than it needs to and perhaps goes some way to explaining my disappointing 35.6mpg average fuel economy."
I drove a Mazda 3 manual in London heavy traffic. Switched to the XC40, T4 RD, with paddles and never looked back. Yes, the Mazda is still fun for a few days at a time but then the clutch leg hates me.
In the city, i used the paddles to downshift when i can see traffic slowing far ahead, and i feel playful. Tried driving in Drive with paddles all day and i always forget i drive "manual" and eventually it just does its own thing.
If you get it into Manual it's a bit more behaving but it won't let you redline it and will downshift when needed to protect gears.

However i had a poo TONNE of fun driving in Manual on twisty roads in Wales and the Lakes, and keeping it in a lower gear to have all that oomph paid dividents especially in Wales on those damn narrow ... calling them roads would be an exaggeration. Also the paddles are great if you want to downshift quick in preparation of overtaking, rather than using the pedal kickdown once you're in the process of overtaking. A lot of morons to overtake on the roads these days!

Second thing. I'm a firm believer that there are more happy people out there than dissapointed in the brand, but i'll still point out there are a few unhappy with the clutch giving out after 2-3k miles on a manual. It's clear there is an issue but Volvo refuses to acknowledge it and invokes driver skill. Some are complaining on this very forum so search a bit, and decide if it's worth the risk. Overall, i feel this is a large car more suited to a relaxed one-foot driving while low, faster cars could be enjoyed more with a stick. Shtick?! :)

Finally, that quote that the car is slow-witted? It's old. It was over a year old when i got the car in 2019 (MY2020). It got plenty of software updates since and yes, at times it can feel wrong but i challenge you to find a problem with it during a month of normal driving. Anything can go wrong, and that closing statement feels like something put there just to pick on something, rather than be actually useful.

Devonal

Post by Devonal »

Like Stanno, I had manual boxes for about 40 years but switched to an auto about 20 years ago. I like a calm and relaxing drive, and just love an auto. Had Audi, Nissan, Skoda, Volvo and an old Rover, would never buy a manual again. One car had paddles but never used them. As for XC40, the B4 Inscription AWD auto was a bit heavy on petrol only averaging about 28mpg, whereas the MY2023 B4 ultimate FWD is giving me about 40mpg. Autos are pretty good these days. Also, always had petrol, not diesel.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

If you’re not worried about fuel consumption get a T5 and you’ll have loads of fun
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I definitely agree with the above comment..
The XC40 was my first auto. I’ve driven numerous manuals for 40+ years including an Impreza Turbo 20+ years ago..
The car very occasionally picks the wrong gear and is very relaxed to drive. I’ve averaged 33+mpg and covered 37k miles from new in March 2018.
The car is quick enough to surprise many other drivers when required..
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
Exmpa

Post by Exmpa »

Has anybody converted from manual to auto and never looked back? Although whatcar.com's long term review of the D4 was positive, even they commented on the "rather slow-witted automatic gearbox that frequently lets the engine rev higher than it needs to and perhaps goes some way to explaining my disappointing 35.6mpg average fuel economy."
In my mid 70s, first auto a D3 and my only question is “ Why on earth didn’t I get one before.”

A little background, I started my career using equipment designed in WW2. If you want to see an example of the technology then take a look at this http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/tvve/dduck0.html. This was the “modern” kit. As time went in technology improved and things became increasingly automated. Generally, the new kit did things rather better than human beings and many of the problems arose because people didn’t understand how it worked and sought to intervene. Most important of all, it took over the mundane manual things and left you with more capacity to concentrate on the judgement and decision making.

I’m in my last decade of driving and I firmly believe that the automation; including auto gearboxes; and other driver support systems in modern cars help me be a safer on the road. Unfortunately it has taken a long time to change the culture in aviation and it will take even longer on the road.

exmpa
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

I was very resistant to the idea of an auto, but after a badly broken left ankle some years ago the change was forced on me. In practice I have found it isn't really an issue after the initial familiarisation. I switched to my T3 from a BMW 420i auto, and can't say I have felt the T3 underpowered for normal use. I find in fact that the gearbox in the T3 is a little sharper for initial starts. You don't say what you are driving at the moment, in particular how many gears it has - I found that using the paddles in the BMW was pretty much a waste of time. The auto was as good as if not better than me, and with an eight speed box you spend an awful lot of time changing gears. In the T3 I just let it get on with it itself, you have to recognise that excellent though the XC40 is, it is not a sports car and trying to treat it as one is doomed to disappointment.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist