19 or 20’ wheels? Has the sunroof improved or is it still giving people issues?

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

I asked when ordering ours. A very firm NO was the response. Some rubbish about testing the emissions but considering its fully electric with zero tailpipe emissions this was clearly bu-ls--t. Still a no when this was pointed out to them. The problem is that whilst you can test drive the electric ones at a dealership and have them prep/deliver it the actual sale is all handled directly by CareByVolvo and they really are not interested in doing anything to help. To be fair we also looked at the Mercedes EQA and they also said no to swapping the wheels, again spouting the emissions story! Go figure
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps

JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

On the basis a dealership would sell you a set of 19" rims without question it's definitely BS.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Confusedbuyer

Post by Confusedbuyer »

JFDIT wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:10 am I'd love to understand why in your market there is no 19" rim option on the Ultimate and in the UK no AWD or B5 on any spec.
Have you asked your Dealership if they'd be prepared to swap them for 19" rims on delivery?
It’s in England actually.
If you get an XC 40 recharge full electric, there is no option to select 19”.
It will be leased so I cannot change the wheels I believe.
percymon

Post by percymon »

Confusedbuyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:15 pm Hi,
While looking at the XC40 plus, I saw the ultimate is only marginally more expensive.

But it comes with 20’ wheels (can’t select 19’) and sunroof.

Sunroof: I have read people complain about the sunroof in the past (rattling, water infiltration..). Has this been fixed of late, or still an issue?

Wheels: I have read the 20’ while looking better, they make the driving experience less comfortable than 19’, plus impact noise and consumption. What’s your view/experience?
Not entiely sure why you are looking at the XC40 when you have ordered a C40 but i suppose there are always alternatives ;)

Ref 19 vs 20" wheels its pros and cons.

20" over 19"
+ personally i think they look far better in design and are more in scale with the rest of the vehicle
+ 12mm less tyre sidewall so theoretically sharper steering response/turn in and less tyre roll when cornering
+ possibly less vulnerable to
- less tyre side wall so alloys are more exposed to kerb and pot hole damage
- marginally less ride comfort
- marginally worse efficiency / range - if you are worried about ca 10 miles range
- higher tyre prices
- potentially less choice of tyres , especially for those wanting winter tyres in the UK
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I ended up ordering a c40
@ Confusedbuyer - I don't mean to be rude, but you have me completely confused now. Last month you were asking members of this forum whether they think you should lease a C40, or an XC40. On 5th November, you posted that you have ordered a C40. However, you have continued to ask questions about XC40s: 08th Nov - Heat Pump, 11th Nov - 20" Wheels & Sunroof, 13th Nov - Sunroof again. Do I assume you've changed your mind and are now thinking of ordering an XC40, or is this in addition to the C40 you have on order?

It's good to get other people's views on certain features of these cars, but these things you're asking about are mostly down to your personal choice, your lifestyle, and your finances. I know people who would gladly pay extra for larger wheels because the look of the car is more important than comfort to them. In the past, I've chosen not to buy a car from dealer stock specifically because it had 20" wheels. I've also paid a premium to have a sunroof and blond interior because that's what I want and I can afford it. Dark Blue is my preferred colour of paint by the way.

If your driving is high mileage and mostly motorway, then the comfort and rim issues with 20" wheels are negligible, but road noise and the cost of tyre replacement could be more of an issue. If you're going to be driving on roads that are uneven and full of potholes, you might be better with 18" wheels. it's your choice.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
steveg999

Post by steveg999 »

For what it's worth (and I don't have my XC40 yet - gnash) 20" for steering response seems a diversion, this is a car for wafting not darting? Appearance - yep it's a fair point. I have a q3 at the mo., on 20" rotor wheels: look great but not really very nice to ride on!
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

I haven't checked current specs so i might be talking out of my a***.
But on previous ones 20" came on RD only which also had the sport suspension. A lot firmer, and a lot better in fast turns. Which i tend to make quite a lot of.

I have drove-tested a normal suspension one on 18" and except the seats which instantly felt poo compared to RD, i nearly felt sick when cornerin. The entire car rocked like a boat and i wasn't far from getting sick before the 3 hours lapsed. For me personally the 20" look great, but i would look at suspension FIRST.

@Rob, let my SH!T show as SH!T, not POO! We're all adults here, it's a car forum :D
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Think there is only the one Suspension set-up now in the UK.
Lincolnshire England.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

I haven't checked current specs
I had a quick look a couple of days ago. The UK on-line configurator for fully electric XC40s shows the only wheel size available is 20”.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Any experience of which tyres suit the car on 19" rims for spirited driving? I dislike Continentals to the point I'll replace them immediately if they are on my new XC40.
Lincolnshire England.