What don't you like about your XC40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions

What don't you like about your XC40?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:22 pm

1. Next to nigh useless reversing lights when in complete darkness.
59%
2. Bonnet release on the nearside.......
11%
3. Uncovered components underneath the driver's seat. Just try retrieving something that has rolled down the side of the components.
30%

Total votes: 27

Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

T5 - mpg, lack of indication of headlights on, hard front seats when you slouch (feels like you’re sitting on a plank of wood), length of time the heated front screen stays on and software glitches. But, but but - why do people moan about the reverse lamps. The soul purpose of reversing lamps is to show the intent of reversing. Period. The fact that they can illuminate the path behind is a happy coincidence and not a design consideration.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Dermottdog wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 pm T5 - mpg, lack of indication of headlights on, hard front seats when you slouch (feels like you’re sitting on a plank of wood), length of time the heated front screen stays on and software glitches. But, but but - why do people moan about the reverse lamps. The soul purpose of reversing lamps is to show the intent of reversing. Period. The fact that they can illuminate the path behind is a happy coincidence and not a design consideration.
Yet other manufacturers seem to be perfectly able to provide reversing lights that offer adequate brightness to allow the reversing camera to be used in the dark so why can’t Volvo? I’ve driven Fords, Mazdas, VWs, Skodas and BMWs in the past and all of them have provided far superior reversing lamps compared to the XC40. Are we really supposed to believe that it’s just a “happy coincidence”??🤨
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

jamie307 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:41 pm I can live with aircon functions in the touchscreen because I just have it on auto. However not having a physical button for re-circulation is very bad. Approaching smoke etc you want to turn it on straight away, and if you forget to turn it off and the windows are rapidly steaming up you don't want to hunt in sub-menus on the touchscreen, especially if you need to be steering at the time.
The "Clean Zone/Interior Air Quality System" allegedly fitted across the board in the UK (at least to MY22 models like mine) should automate the recirculation process for such conditions. How fast it will act, and whether in fact it's fitted and does anything given you can't see it and there's no visible indication that I've seen, is another matter ;) . (Though the accompanying function of the circulation fan starting immediately the car is unlocked via the remote is certainly present on mine, and slightly disconcerting!).

I share the dislike of the absence of simple lighting status information (but can live with it). If I ignore minor niggles, my main bugbears are the fact that Stop/Start doesn't function logically when speed limiter is engaged (shared previously on here), and the inability to dim the screens (particularly the centre one) before the car decides it's night-time. I find it bright at the best of times, and over-bright on overcast days.

All things need to be taken in context though. I did a round trip of almost 400 miles yesterday, in less than perfect driving conditions (lots of mist/fog, and some challenging terrain) but managed to "make progress". I arrived back home most definitely more relaxed and less tired than in my previous BMW X1 (of a very similar spec). The XC40 is notably a much better long distance "waft".
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Rifleman wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:22 pm
Dermottdog wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 pm T5 - mpg, lack of indication of headlights on, hard front seats when you slouch (feels like you’re sitting on a plank of wood), length of time the heated front screen stays on and software glitches. But, but but - why do people moan about the reverse lamps. The soul purpose of reversing lamps is to show the intent of reversing. Period. The fact that they can illuminate the path behind is a happy coincidence and not a design consideration.
Yet other manufacturers seem to be perfectly able to provide reversing lights that offer adequate brightness to allow the reversing camera to be used in the dark so why can’t Volvo? I’ve driven Fords, Mazdas, VWs, Skodas and BMWs in the past and all of them have provided far superior reversing lamps compared to the XC40. Are we really supposed to believe that it’s just a “happy coincidence”??🤨
Absolutely it’s a happy coincidence!! So the Ford KA and BMW R53 Mini had one reverse lamp - why? Perhaps they thought they’d make it more challenging to reverse. There’s a reason why reverse lamps have a limited wattage. Why not have great big reverse Lamps that illuminate everything? They have limited illumination due to blinding oncoming road users. It really isn’t in the design consideration.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
como

Post by como »

JFDIT wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:37 pm Sometimes, like 20mins ago, the car hesitates when accelerating quickly onto a roundabout. It can be rather disconcerting....
Totally agree with this and, to be honest, it has spoilt my ownership experience of my XC40. It's been into the dealership but it made no difference. In certain conditions, the lag/delay is bordering on dangerous. Even resorting to foot hard down, depressing the kick-down switch, it sits there and does nothing and then suddenly wakes up, gets its $hit together and takes off. It calls for an overly cautious style of driving that must annoy other road users behind me.
T3 Auto R Design Pro, Thunder Grey, MY2022
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

maybe a cause for a second discussion thread on the hesitation, it may be following the switch to DSG as I get no such hesitation with my B4 8 speed.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The only thing I hate is the automatic brightness adjustment of the dashboard and centre display. When driving during dusk or dawn, I always have to reach for the thumbwheel on the instrument panel left of the steering wheel to manually readjust the brightness of the display. The automatic day/night brightness reduction is activated too late, finding myself blinded by the instrument panel and centre display in low light driving conditions.

In my previous VW group cars (Audi, VW, Skoda) dashboard brightness was continuously adjusting based on outside light conditions. Volvo has automatic switch from day to night driving and brightness adjustment is possible only for night time driving, but not for daytime driving

The new AAOS equipped cars are even worst, Volvo completely removed the option to adjust display brightness :roll:
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Felindre wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:19 am maybe a cause for a second discussion thread on the hesitation, it may be following the switch to DSG as I get no such hesitation with my B4 8 speed.
Nor on ours. But was exactly what we got on our 1.2 Yetis and 1.0 Karoq DSGs with mechanical stop/start.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
goldy

Post by goldy »

My last XC40 T3 was a nightmare from day one with its drastic flat spotting. My dealer had many attempts to sort it but never did. After 12 months of approaching any junction with extreme caution I got rid of it.
The best Volvo UK came up with was saying I should have got the 2ltr.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Mines a 2lt with the old 8 Speed slush box. Unsure if it's the gearbox not finding the right gear or if it's an engine flat spot. Doesn't happen often enough and when it does I'm usually distracted by a fast approaching vehicle...
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.