19 or 20’ wheels? Has the sunroof improved or is it still giving people issues?

For discussions on the Volvo XC40 Recharge Pure Electric
Confusedbuyer

Post by Confusedbuyer »

Hi,
While looking at the XC40 plus, I saw the ultimate is only marginally more expensive.

But it comes with 20’ wheels (can’t select 19’) and sunroof.

Sunroof: I have read people complain about the sunroof in the past (rattling, water infiltration..). Has this been fixed of late, or still an issue?

Wheels: I have read the 20’ while looking better, they make the driving experience less comfortable than 19’, plus impact noise and consumption. What’s your view/experience?

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Driving experience is very personal to the driver. It would be better to just go and test drive one with 20" wheels rather than rely on other peoples thoughts or experiences. It's your money put the effort in to spend it wisely.

Personally I wouldn't want 20" on an XC40.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Confusedbuyer

Post by Confusedbuyer »

blastpipe wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:30 pm Driving experience is very personal to the driver. It would be better to just go and test drive one with 20" wheels rather than rely on other peoples thoughts or experiences. It's your money put the effort in to spend it wisely.

Personally I wouldn't want 20" on an XC40.
Thanks for your advice, but where I went they did not have any cars other than top trip - so no 19’ wheels.
I test drove one with 20’, but it was so brief and was not aware of the option of having 19’ back then.

Hence other’s experience is rather useful for me.

Why would you not for 20’ on an XC40?
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Sunroof on ours is fine. No problems so far. We have used it a lot both in warm and cold weather. It has reduced the use of climate/AC in the summer other than on really hot days. It is tinted enough to keep out bright sun and there is also an electric blind.
It also has 20 inch wheels. I would not have specified them out of choice but there they are. To me the ride is fine. Not noisy but I have not driven one with 19 inch wheels. In most of Europe 19s are standard on the Ultimate with 20s being a cost option. UK choices are very limited compared to elsewhere
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Confusedbuyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Why would you not for 20’ on an XC40?
The ride will be harsher than 18 or 19's as the bit of rubber does provide part of the suspension of the car. I prefer comfort over driving experience. The bigger the wheel, the less rubber, the more likely the wheel will get kerbed.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Had no issues with the sunroof on ours and really like it. Opens easily, blind works well and will auto close if too hot when car left. Only gripe is the button is a bit fiddly…

Wheels - I specked up an R-Design rather than going got the Pro model as I didn’t want 20” alloys, noisier when I took it out, harsher ride (wasn’t much of an issue as coming from BMW), but standard 18” alloys have a much nicer ride. I found the 20” alloys also tramlined quite bad. Not to mention the extra - and now quite considerable - cost of tyres when needing replacement.
PC40

Post by PC40 »

I’ve had a First Edition XC40 since just after they were released 4 1/2 years ago, having ordered it when they were first announced.. I had a no cost option choice and deliberately chose 19” wheels instead of 20” ones. I’ve had no regrets over this choice and so far the wheels are unmarked after 37k miles. The tyres protect the rims to a degree. The ride is good and the tyres have more sidewall depth to cope with potholes and rough road surfaces.
The car came with a panoramic sunroof as standard and I’ve had no problems or concerns with this at all.
XC40 T5 First Edition|Bursting Blue |delivered end of March 2018
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

My sunroof is excellent, no issues at all. It has 19" rims which I think suit the car, and as others have remarked the sidewall is sufficiently deep to soak up potholes and cope with most kerbs. Win win. Doubt the 20" rims would make sufficient difference to the handling to be worthwhile.
I've ordered a new B4 Ultimate with 19" rims on the basis of my experience.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Confusedbuyer

Post by Confusedbuyer »

Thanks all
For the the issue is that if I want to go with the most sensible decision - an XC 40 ultimate rather than plus - it would mean necessarily going for 20” trims, which I really do not want…
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I'd love to understand why in your market there is no 19" rim option on the Ultimate and in the UK no AWD or B5 on any spec.
Have you asked your Dealership if they'd be prepared to swap them for 19" rims on delivery?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.