VOLVO XC40 B4 MHEV - NO WAY TO DISABLE START/STOP

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

You should have bought a T model. They disable themselves by not working after a while unless you drive 200-250 miles a weeks (Volves figures not mine)
Not fit for purpose
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Yep, in my opinion models with the starter generator, like the B4, are by far a much better stop start system than what the T versions have with a standard starter motor that seems to run out of juice quickly and stops working - just don't understand why Volvo would remove the very useful stop start turn-off icon?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@Oldie, the answer is simple; Volvo don't want you to.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I agree with Sherwood, Start/Stop on the B4 is completely un-noticeable! We've just bought my wife a Hyundai Kona, and that is mHEV like the B4. It does much more than the Volvo, it goes into "sailing" mode when foot off the gas (and not in cruise control) and the motor switches off. It's interesting that it's also a manual car and the clutch must automatically operate to disengage. BUT it's totally invisible unless you look at the dials!
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The B4 does 'sailing mode' it's called coasting. It just doesn't turn the engine off.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@JFDIT - Volvo and simple in the same sentence seems a little ironic ;)
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

I always disabled it on my D3R diesel, but very happy with it on my B4awd. Very smooth.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

ACertainAge wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:10 am I always disabled it on my D3R diesel, but very happy with it on my B4awd. Very smooth.
Same here. Just leave it to do its thing. The starter motor version on our previous Karoq was a heart stopper at busy roundabouts so I'd always turn it off.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
como

Post by como »

Chris John wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:17 pm You should have bought a T model. They disable themselves by not working after a while unless you drive 200-250 miles a weeks (Volves figures not mine)
Not fit for purpose
:lol:
That made me laugh, it's so true. Had mine from new and it only worked for the first 2 weeks. Just had the first service at the main dealership and they could not get it working. Ended up having to take it back and leave it for 2 days. It took them 1 1/2 days to get the battery to charge. When I asked them how the system was meant to charge, in use, if it takes 1 1/2 days on a constant charge parked in their garage, they said it would no longer be a problem. So I left the dealership and drove back home, a distance of approx 20 miles, and on the journey home it disabled itself. I've given up to be honest. It's clearly not fit for purpose and Volvo know that. I had 3 Mercedes prior to this. And over a period of 10 years, doing the same daily commute, the Stop/Start worked without issue on all of them. Shame on Volvo, but it's their reputation they are playing with.
T3 Auto R Design Pro, Thunder Grey, MY2022
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

I've just swapped my 21 model for a brand new Mild Hybrid B4. I used to always switch off start stop on my older T3 but went to do the same on the new B4 Google system and as you say, no option at all nor any 'performance' modes that also stopped the start stop. However, I must say that the newer B4 start stop is much smoother and quicker than the older T3 so I'm not so concerned.