Dash cam - which fuse ?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I use the 12V connector in the boot, feed the wire into the above door trim back and front. Totally unobtrusive, mostly invisible, super easy to remove when I ever need to, front power & USB free for anything else

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

charles_M wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:41 pm I use the 12V connector in the boot, feed the wire into the above door trim back and front. Totally unobtrusive, mostly invisible, super easy to remove when I ever need to, front power & USB free for anything else
Did think about this, but decided against it as I’ve got curtain airbags…

And the cable isn’t long enough to route along the floor / cill from the boot. Going to have a look at weekend if I can find a longer lead…
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

step2534 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:51 pm Volvo fitted mine, the lad had done one before, took 3 hrs.
He used the Front Seat adjustment fuse cos it goes off with the ignition.
Its in the fuse box under passenger seat, one of the difficulties was finding a fuse that went off when the ignition was off/
My dealer will only fit the one that they sell - which is not the one I want. They also recommend against connecting it through the fuse box - only recommend using the cigarette lighter.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

qrt31 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:38 am
step2534 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:51 pm Volvo fitted mine, the lad had done one before, took 3 hrs.
He used the Front Seat adjustment fuse cos it goes off with the ignition.
Its in the fuse box under passenger seat, one of the difficulties was finding a fuse that went off when the ignition was off/
My dealer will only fit the one that they sell - which is not the one I want. They also recommend against connecting it through the fuse box - only recommend using the cigarette lighter.
Interesting, now I wonder if that’s due to trying to find fuse etc, as has been discussed - or the fact that it’s so much quicker and easier to just plug it into the 12v socket ???
dgomes

Post by dgomes »

Hello all!

I am hard wiring my dashcam today and would be great if someone could contribute with some of the issues I have:

1. The cable that runs from the dashcam to fusebox only splits at the end, being that ACC, Batt+ and Ground have to be connected somewhere near each other. The ACC and Batt+ go into the fuse box tap, but what about the Ground wire? Does anyone know if there is a screw or any good grounding contact near or at the fuse box? Has anyone connected the ground near it? Where could I find it?

2. Has anyone using fuse taps to connect on the fuse box (12 and 86? fuse slots ran into issues closing the fuse box cover afterwards? What solution did you adopt?

Thank you very much for any comment / contribution.

Regards,
Daniel
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

or the fact that it’s so much quicker and easier to just plug it into the 12v socket ???
I don’t know about your dealer Andy, but mine always unplugs the dash cam when it’s in the workshop. That wouldn’t be as easy for them to do if it was hard wired.

I’ve routed my cable down the passenger A pillar, under the passenger seat and up into the centre console. I’ve then purchased a flush USB adapter for the front 12v socket. I needed the adaptor because I only have one usb socket at the front which is always in use, but easy to do because I don’t have a wireless charger.

5EBF3DCC-CDFC-4F43-A9AC-EA2A97075A90.jpeg

MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

KeithR56 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:56 pm I don’t know about your dealer Andy, but mine always unplugs the dash cam when it’s in the workshop. That wouldn’t be as easy for them to do if it was hard wired.
Mine's hardwired, but it doesn't stop them - they just pull the plug out of the camera itself.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Dan6v

Post by Dan6v »

I just hardwired my dash cam today. - Nextbase requiring only a switched live and an earth.
I used the piggyback connecter in the fuse for the rear wiper and cut a slot out of the fusebox cover so it still clipped shut. You can't notice it at all because it's tucked right up under the seat when it's all back together.
I nearly attached the earth connecter to the bolted-down live cable at the end of the fusebox that looks like an earth - so don't make that mistake!
So I ran the earth cable back along the sill and used the earth point at the base of the A-pillar beneath the bonnet release.
2018 XC40 D4 First Edition - crystal white pearl/black roof.