Here we go......AGAIN

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
bigboots

Post by bigboots »

So last week the car decided to go into limp mode whilst doing an overtake on the M25 (I was as shocked as you are that I was able to attempt it in rush hour) so outside lane of M25 doing 70(ish) and she decides to go lame, any way manage to get to the hard shoulder without getting hit, Volvo assist turn up and tell me there is a 12v charging fault on the vehicle, in fairness it did say that on the screen too, 12v battery was a little low so cleared the fault codes, put it on a boost pack for 20 minutes to top up the charge and checked again....all was good.....any way taking a big jump forward to today, same issue, same fault code, this time battery was testing fine, full capacity, charging output was fine but still the same error came back up, Volvo assist plug in again but no errors logged and no messages :roll:
Car has been doing about 130 miles each day, nothing else plugged in except a mobile phone, most driving done during daylight hours so no excessive loads

Any ideas? its booked in to go to the main dealer on Tuesday for some TLC
car is a T5 recharge, 25k miles on the clock now on a 21 plate.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

You do 130-miles a day, sounds like you also do a lot of motorway miles too so you need a car that you can trust - If it were me I would get rid of it as trust when on the motorway is in my opinion just too important.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

In these days of smart alternators, the alt will stop charging in order to improve fuel consumption, and in any case an alternator won't give you 100% charge, probably only 80%... 100% will require a good quality smart charger