A little ‘Growley

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Leehunt1964

Post by Leehunt1964 »

Hi Yowfailed, have you had any feedback from your dealer about this issue ?

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Running-in a new engine has always been about getting the cylinder-rings and bore to mate together well to form a good oils seal and has little to do with oil type, the only thing that has changed is the need to do a very early oil change to remove any debris from poorer machining of old, and that's why, in my opinion, its just as vital today to be gentle on a new engine for the first 1000-miles as its always been.
Krystof

Post by Krystof »

Oldie wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 am Running-in a new engine has always been about getting the cylinder-rings and bore to mate together well to form a good oils seal and has little to do with oil type, the only thing that has changed is the need to do a very early oil change to remove any debris from poorer machining of old, and that's why, in my opinion, its just as vital today to be gentle on a new engine for the first 1000-miles as its always been.
I second that. I always go easy on it for the first 1000 km or so, and I also make sure that I'm not doing loads of motorway miles so the revs will be constantly changing. That's all. To be honest, I'm a relaxed sort of driver and I always drive pretty gently anyway - so apart from avoiding constant revs (as in motorway driving), I never really notice any difference between how I use an engine in its running-in period and how I use it "normally" 8-) People who have problems in an engine's later life will mainly be those who rag it from cold and variously abuse it - drivers who lack "mechanical sympathy".
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

The Volvo valve train, ca cam followers etc. make a racket when cold. When the engine and components warm up all the proper clearances are made and the engine will quiet down. Some of this noise is also piston related and the piston to cylinder clearance is loose until the pistons heat and expand and tighten in the bores. We used to have a Subaru that was very noisy when cold and similarly would quiet down after it warmed up a bit.
Deleted User 3629

@bdalameda. Engines can, and often do, make some noise when cold for the reasons you suggest - but in my experience the Volvo 2.0 B4 engine does not, and should not make any "cam-follower racket" even when winter cold - comparing it to a Subaru engine is like comparing apples to oranges as Subaru uses a boxer engine with totally different character and sound.
Yowfailed

Post by Yowfailed »

Hi Guys, an update if I may.
It would appear that other members seem to have seized upon the ‘Oil’ issue. I fear that this is not an issue as the car has full service history and I’d like to think that Volvo know which oil to use.
Moving one………On my last visit to my local franchises dealership they stated that there were no issues with the car at first startup/drive and that what I hear could be the balance shaft?? Last time I had a balance shaft issue was on an early Triumph Tiger 900 motorcycle!
The ‘Growley’ sound now seems to be progressing into a metal on metal type sound which can now be felt through the accelerator pedal and footrest :-(
Has anyone else experienced anything remotely like this?
Deleted User 3629

B4 R-design - starts up from cold very smooth very little noise and at tick over in just a minute or so - this should be the norm, in my opinion you should not experience a sensation like metal on metal type sound which can now be felt through the accelerator pedal and foot rest - but if you can feel this then surely a technician can, and if they say its normal ask them to demonstrate it on a similar car - you would think that any metal to metal grinding will only end one way - component failure somewhere?