Loud rattle at start up (intermittent)

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

Hi! Has anyone else experienced the above? We took the car in for yr2 service last September and mentioned the fault. We had starter motor changed but the fault still exists. The car is booked in for next Friday.

TurboNeil

Post by TurboNeil »

Sounds like it might be a heat shield that's come loose, pretty common on all vehicles eventually but seems a bit early for a 2 year old car.
2021 R Design T5 in Fusion Red.
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

Thx, would the failure of the heat shield cause the problem the be intermittent though?
TurboNeil

Post by TurboNeil »

Yes, it could. Like when the air conditioner kicks in at idle and changes the load on the engine (reducing the rpm). Probably a number of other things it could be also. Is it like a thin metallic noise?
2021 R Design T5 in Fusion Red.
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

Well car has now gone back in after being told it wasn't an issue they could diagnose in a day. A whole engine dismantle is required. Possible crankshaft problem.😥. This on top of having drive shaft replaced due to vibration issues in Feb 2020..not good..
Sheff'98

Post by Sheff'98 »

Just had the dvsa recall come through today for the fault...they need to update starter motor software..now that didn't take long to resolve!
Nilzkk

Post by Nilzkk »

Hi this morning my 2018 xc40 D4 started a rattling sound coming from the engine bay on startup after a few mins it goes away. How was yours fixed? I bought the car less then a year ago and have extended warranty till Aug 22 hopefully it'll be covered under that!
Ang1

Post by Ang1 »

I have something similar. A tinny rattle on start up and then whilst running intermittently, it's getting louder. It's an R design pro D4 AWD auto 2019. No warning lights. Garage tentatively suggested it could be torque shield as it's common with these.? It's booked in but would like to know how it's been resolved.
Cro

Post by Cro »

Ang1 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:25 am I have something similar. A tinny rattle on start up and then whilst running intermittently, it's getting louder. It's an R design pro D4 AWD auto 2019. No warning lights. Garage tentatively suggested it could be torque shield as it's common with these.? It's booked in but would like to know how it's been resolved.
We had something similar on our 2003 Citroen C8 a few months back. Turned out that the crankshaft pulley was faulty. This only happened sometimes when the engine was cold and idling.
Late MY23 XC40 B4P AWD Ultimate Bright Dusk /w Pixel lights.
Ordered 25th August 2022, delivered 11th January 2023