Speed cameras

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Maybe you haven't got the feature enabled. Mine warns me whether I'm driving over the speed limit (approaching a lower limit and camera) or if I'm driving along under the limit.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Yes, the feature is enabled. It works fine most of the time, but I’ve noticed recently that the speed camera warning doesn’t always work.

I’ve driven past the speed camera in question four times again today (twice in each direction). I deliberately drove at a constant 28mph on each occasion. On one trip I was in eco mode, the other in comfort mode. Only got a camera warning on one occasion out of the four, so it doesn’t appear to be influenced by speed, or driving mode (TBH I’d have been surprised if it had).

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the location and type of camera is stored in the map data. The car’s GPS knows my position and therefore whether I’m approaching a known camera.

The map data isn’t the best in the world, but it is a constant so that’s not the problem. It could be a fault with my car, or the GPS signal isn’t vey good at that location, or maybe it’s just rubbish software (or all of the above). The camera warnings in previous Volvos I’ve owned were very reliable, so another step backwards for Volvo tech IMO.

I guess I’ll just have to put up with it as it is and find something more important to worry about.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I run the free TomTom Go app on my android phone without setting a destination. It provides a timely spoken warning of upcoming speed cameras, their type (mobile, fixed, traffic light, etc.) along with the current speed limit. It also tells you when you're entering and exiting an average speed zone providing frequent updates on what your actual average speed is. It has proven to be very reliable.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

JFDIT wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:10 pm I run the free TomTom Go app on my android phone without setting a destination. It provides a timely spoken warning of upcoming speed cameras, their type (mobile, fixed, traffic light, etc.) along with the current speed limit. It also tells you when you're entering and exiting an average speed zone providing frequent updates on what your actual average speed is. It has proven to be very reliable.
I have the wife performing the same function :-))
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

Since raising this subject, I’ve been conscious of what happens when I approach a camera. I’ve now concluded that it will only warn of a fixed (Gatsby type) camera when its located on the side of the road you’re driving on; It does not give a warning if the camera is on the opposite side of the road. However, on single carriageways, this type of camera will capture traffic in both directions (fact). So anyone thinking that the camera warnings provide a level of protection from speeding fines should be aware that the information on their Volvo maps can’t be relied on.

For the record, I should point out that I never deliberately drive over the speed limit. We’re told that the cameras are there to improve road safety, so it must surely follow that knowing where the cameras are will make my driving safer and the world a better place 🙂
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

KeithR56 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:33 am However, on single carriageways, this type of camera will capture traffic in both directions (fact).
WRONG!

" On single carriageway roads, two sets of dashed lines are usually painted at a Gatso location. That means vehicles using either side of the road can be measured for speeding, but only in the direction that the Gatso is pointing. That means a camera site can only catch vehicles travelling away from it - if you are speeding towards one and it flashes, a ticket can't be issued. "
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

ciuncky wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:33 pm ..... can only catch vehicles travelling away from it - if you are speeding towards one and it flashes, a ticket can't be issued. "
...unless you've confused a Gatso with a Truvelo (which are forward facing). Good luck in distinguishing them at speed at a distance. ;)
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Yeah that's fair, however Keith mentioned Gatso types, and even if it was Truvelo - it still only nicks you in a direction.

That it's the direction you happen to travel, that's a different story :)
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

After reading the comments from clunky and Sherwood, I realise I may have misunderstood how these cameras work.

Yesterday, I read on line that Gatso cameras record speed in both directions on single carriageways and one direction on dual carriageways and I regurgitated this as if it was fact. After a bit more googling this evening, it would seem that although a Gatso does record speed in both directions, but to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles it will only flash the rear of a speeding vehicle. I’ve also just read that the forward facing Truvelo cameras, that don’t flash, can measure your speed from 1km away (wow!).

So maybe Volvo’s camera warnings are correct after all. It just goes to show that you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet. I will always admit when I’m wrong, (although that is a very rare event).

A true anecdote for your entertainment: Near where I used to work a mobile camera van used to park just where the speed limit changed from 60 to 40. One evening on my way home I passed the camera van at exactly 40mph. 2 minutes later the camera van overtook me at high speed; doing at least 60 in a 40mph zone.

Another true anecdote: I was a passenger in a car being driven be a retired senior police officer when he was pulled over for speeding by a constable with a radar gun. The driver asked if he could see the recorded speed on the gun and just as it was shown to him he reached over and pressed the reset button. No record of his speed, no fine. To be honest, he probably could have just made a phone call to get any fine cancelled, but the look on the constable’s face was priceless.
Apricity

Post by Apricity »

Volvo is an international brand. In some countries radar detectors are illegal, so I believe the camera warning light is triggered by volvo maps not radar. Also [in the UK] there is a tendency now by the police to vary the sites (vans and hand held devices) that wont show up, as they cant be on the maps. I would update maps AND use WAZE [app on phone] that is as close to real time as there can be, with speed traps of all kinds, traffic and other obstructions.