Bending Lights inoperative - but no fault warning…

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

It works exactly as Felindre described and when stalk switch is turned to “0” only front day lights are illuminated with ignition on. The confusion might come from the fact that almost all other car brands with dedicated front day lights are NOT having rear lights on during day time on Auto. Regulation in Sweden required cars to have lights always on (front and back) decades before the introduction of dedicated front daylight LEDs, Volvo seam to have kept the heritage rule for auto mode.

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Just checked mine in broad daylight and no rear lights illuminated when switch is on 0 or Auto. So some difference here.

I'm not bothered in good daylight but it is a concern as light falls or it gets misty before the main lights come on. I checked mine in mist once when I noticed the car in front had no rear lights but some light was being shown from the front and my rears weren't on also.

The XC40 is the first car I've left the lights on Auto but in my case with no rear lights in failing light it rather negates the advantage of using it.

Checked the TT as well, on 0 no lights at all, on Auto front DRLs but no rear lights.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:04 pm Just checked mine in broad daylight and no rear lights illuminated when switch is on 0 or Auto. So some difference here.
Yours might have a problem since Volvos have rear lights / position lamps on when stalk switch is turned to Auto with ignition on.
From owner’s manual:

24DE185E-A407-45C5-9606-6EB9E7005636.jpeg

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

ChrisLF wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:04 pm Just checked mine in broad daylight and no rear lights illuminated when switch is on 0 or Auto. So some difference here.

I'm not bothered in good daylight but it is a concern as light falls or it gets misty before the main lights come on. I checked mine in mist once when I noticed the car in front had no rear lights but some light was being shown from the front and my rears weren't on also.

The XC40 is the first car I've left the lights on Auto but in my case with no rear lights in failing light it rather negates the advantage of using it.

Checked the TT as well, on 0 no lights at all, on Auto front DRLs but no rear lights.
Last I checked TT wasn't a Volvo so follows VW strategy which is only front DRL.

Better refer back to the dealership as all Volvo's have front and rear DRL.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Thanks eugen61. Going in for service soon so I shall mention it then.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
KeithR56

Post by KeithR56 »

It can sometimes be hard to tell if the rear lights are on, or off in daylight. The reflective backing of the lighting units can make it look like they’re on all the time, even with the ignition off. However, they should be on whenever the DRL are on.

I recall that back in the 1980s, Swedish cars such as Saab and Volvo had DRL, front and rear. In fact some owners in the UK would pay their dealership to disable it. There wasn’t as many Volvos around in those days so when I was driving my Volvo 740, I was always having other drivers flashing me, and people telling me “you’ve left your lights on mate”. If I’m not mistake, DRL became a legal requirement in the UK on new cars from 2011.
MY22 XC40 Inscription B4P, Auto, FWD, Denim blue, Blond Leather, Climate, Versatility, Sunroof, Tints.