A little ‘Growley

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Yowfailed

Post by Yowfailed »

Hi Guys
Could I get some advise and opinions from you learned people.
I am a month into ownership of my 2018 First Edition T5 which, to date is giving the impression its an unleaded alcoholic. Different story so we’ll leave that one there.
My question is, when left overnight the engine sounds a little harsh, almost ‘growley’ for the first 5 or 10 minutes. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? If I didn’t know better it sounds like the oil in either engine or gearbox maybe a bit thick on startup. And, if its thick now, what will it be like in winter. Probably a mile off the mark, your views appreciated.
Thanks

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

No chance it's oil. These cars (like nearly all these days) uses fully synthetic oil... Can't recall the grade, but I had an air-cooled Moto Guzzi bike that used 0W-50... Again, fully synth, which retains its qualities for thousands and thousands of miles...
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Correct oil grade is vital on the Volvo XC40 and it uses one of the thinnest oil grade available 0w20 - You could check first if the right grade of oil was put in the engine - Volvo engines can sound a little unrefined at higher rev's but you should not really detect harsh running at start-up for 5-mins or so and then improves. Problem with second hand cars is that you never know how the 1st owner bedded the new engine in - many will say that engines today do not need running in - in my view that's tosh - if you want an engine to be trouble free it starts with gentle driving for the first 1000-miles.
Leehunt1964

Post by Leehunt1964 »

Hi, I have a T5 First Edition (16,500 miles) and I also thought its a bit noisy on first start up of the day, mine has been back to the dealer to check this out, they had the car overnight so they could do the first start up and they said there is nothing wrong with it.
Yowfailed

Post by Yowfailed »

Thanks so much for your responses guys. I fully expected the answers regarding oil but I thought I’d just throw it out there. The response from Leehunt1964 is ironic, exactly where I am now. My cars booked into the dealer tomorrow night for an early morning startup on Tuesday morning for this very reason. Let’s see if I get the same response, ill update soon.
Deleted User 3359

One thing to add is that using synth oil will lead to increased oil consumption for a few thousand miles, simply because of the quality of lubrication meaning that the metal/metal contact that "runs the engine in" takes much longer (on the Moto Guzzi I mentioned oil was being burned for the first 6000 miles)... I still check the XC40 oil on a regular basis (via the instruments of course).
Deleted User 3629

Using a synthetic oil should not lead to increased oil consumption, it will "search" more than a mineral oil but does not burn more - odd to compare a Moto Guzzi engine with a Volvo 2.0, apart from both being a 4-stroke ICE engine, that's about it in their differing characters - some modern car engines are designed to use a little oil during the first few thousand miles but in my experience the Volvo 2.0 in the XC40 is not one of them, and if oil is being used between services - that may point to poor running-in of the cylinder-to-bore during the first few thousand miles or a leak .
Deleted User 3359

Oldie wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:18 am Using a synthetic oil should not lead to increased oil consumption, it will "search" more than a mineral oil but does not burn more - odd to compare a Moto Guzzi engine with a Volvo 2.0, apart from both being a 4-stroke ICE engine, that's about it in their differing characters - some modern car engines are designed to use a little oil during the first few thousand miles but in my experience the Volvo 2.0 in the XC40 is not one of them, and if oil is being used between services - that may point to poor running-in of the cylinder-to-bore during the first few thousand miles or a leak .
I've had new cars which use fully synth oil since 2009, and I have had to top up in several cases up to early thousands of miles (between 3 and 6). My B4 has been an exception...
Deleted User 3629

Don't think the B4 is an exception, think its more to do with engine design - you see - many modern engines have spray systems that spray oil under the piston crowns for cooling during the first few thousand miles and this oil is evaporated during this process of running-in, and then the system is switched off. The 2.0 B4 does not have this system and therefor should not use any oil, if oil is being used in a B4 it is more likely due to a leak or oil getting past the rings because of poor piston-ring-to-cylinder sealing - but either way any usage has little to do with the oil being synthetic.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

This talk of running in as regards oil is a bit arbitrary as gone are the days when "running in" or lower grade oil was used for running in before changing to the better stuff.

Fully synth oil is put in from the start and it is so slippery that little wear/running in can take place. I think this applies to modern motorbikes as well.

I always abide by the running in rules for my cars and bikes though to let things bed in, as far as they can, and afterwards they get an easy life anyway.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.