Tyre Pressure Warning every few weeks

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Hi All

Had the XC40 2 years now. Been fine and very comfy since the initial breakdown on day 3 (ECU not properly connected!). However for the last 9 months or so keep getting the 'low tyre pressure warning' every 2-3 weeks. Once it was correct and had a slow puncture but most times I check all tyre pressures - all fine - then reset the system and await the next false alarm! I'm asking the dealer to check at the next service but anyone else get so many false alarms? My other car (VW) doesn't do this. I know the system uses ABS sensors but I've had no other ABS system warnings so I'm assuming the sensors are OK and it's just a very pessimistic algorithm?
Thanks

Exmpa

Post by Exmpa »

I haven’t had any issues with my XC40 although I did get a few warnings on my V40 that used a similar monitoring system. What I found was that the system calibration procedure had to be followed precisely to avoid the warning reoccurring. Having just read the procedure for storing a new tyre pressure, it does seem quite involved in that the pressure isn’t stored until the car has been driven a minimum distance. I’m pretty sure this was the case on the V40 although it wasn’t spelled out as clearly.

Exmpa
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Thanks - very useful and may align to my issue. Mainly short urban drives but the TPMS light does seem to come more often after a few miles into a longer journey (eg 3 times recently on the start of long long trips after about 20 miles or so - so never a relaxing start having to then pull over and check pressures in a service station!)
MrRilo

Post by MrRilo »

Deputy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:24 pm Hi All

Had the XC40 2 years now. Been fine and very comfy since the initial breakdown on day 3 (ECU not properly connected!). However for the last 9 months or so keep getting the 'low tyre pressure warning' every 2-3 weeks. Once it was correct and had a slow puncture but most times I check all tyre pressures - all fine - then reset the system and await the next false alarm! I'm asking the dealer to check at the next service but anyone else get so many false alarms? My other car (VW) doesn't do this. I know the system uses ABS sensors but I've had no other ABS system warnings so I'm assuming the sensors are OK and it's just a very pessimistic algorithm?
Thanks
I have come from a VAG car recently and found false alarms were occasionally happening. I found this was happening mainly after a run on the Motorway. After a bit of googling, I read that the alarms can be caused by the heat in the tyre and the alterations this makes to rotation. I stored the pressures after a long run and had no more issues. Not yet sure of the Volvo system but sounds similar, only had the car 2 weeks
T3 Manual
MY22 Momentum