In support of Sensus navigation

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Thanks for explaining the waypoints, I hadn't seen that so I'll check it out.

A couple of miles from us they're building a bypass to Gorslas (carmarthenshire) this has already appeared in the maps and it even knew that the junction nearest us you now drive onto, but then turn off back on the 'old' road as it's not fully completed yet! So from other comments it seems some areas seem better updated than others.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

I have used built in and standalone satnav on vehicles for over 15 years, including Tomtom (Yuk) and Garmin (much better).

Built in Satnav in chronological order has been Ford Sync (v2), Renault Media Nav, Renault R-Link, Ford Sync 3, and now Sensus.

Ford Sync 2 - separately purchased SD card for Maps, no download facility, and always at least 12 months out of date, and no Traffic, very slow responding through junctions and roundabouts.
Media Nav - better, with the slowest online updates ever (sitting with the engine running for 2 hours) at least the updates were once or twice a year. No traffic
R-Link. Much better than Media Nav, first with excellent traffic (I ignored on the drive back home from collecting the car and it cost me 30 min). Again, slow updates but at least could be USB'd and it only took about an hour or so for the USB update to work
Sync 3 - Pretty good EXCEPT once-a-year update (if you are lucky) onto USB that was flaky to say the least and could regularly fail somewhere in the 4–6-hour process, and the maps were already 12 months old when downloaded. Also clunky in terms of instruction speed
Sensus - far and away the best, Traffic very good, "learning" your regular routes, rapid and reliable update process, fast instructions with no lag.
Joss

Post by Joss »

Couldn't agree more lot of people running Sensus down but I have now had 2 XC40s and never had a problem with the Navigation system. Had Peugeots and a Ford before them not very reliable and although the Peugeot had regular updates it took forever to download them and even longer to install plus you had to leave the ignition on until they had finished installing. Volvo just does it all itself
2021 P8 recharge Sage Green
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Personally I've found it to be awful. On several occasions it's taken me down a side road before correcting itself and resuming the correct direction. The early notification of "prepare to turn x" is far too early to be of use. And it rarely spots a traffic jam, although to be fair it has a couple of times in recent weeks but offered no alternative routes.
It does however identify the majority of speed cameras, but not as many as the TomTom Go app which I generally have running on my phone with no destination set. Which, incidentally, also picks up most traffic jams.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

My original post headed ‘Satnav Oddity’ seems to have migrated to this thread. Just to say I thought it useful to identify this peculiarity of a divergence between the voice instructions and the direction shown in the display. It seemed odd that the software appeared to be running two parallel route computations. As I said, I did not doubt that either option would get me there.
In general, I agree that the Sensus system is very satisfactory and I like in particular the clear information in the driver display with its helpful count down to turnings and junctions.