Coolant overheated

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

Hello everyone,

I have a Volvo XC40 T3 MY2020 model.

Today, it was 25 degrees outside, and I was going reverse , very slowly, on a very narrow alley for about 2-3 minutes. The ventilator was on after a minute or so, something which was expected.

I drive out of the alley and around 5 minutes later I get a message on the screen that the coolant level is too low. I open the motor and I see that the coolant cap is open!

I added some water (around 500ml) and then the message dissapeared from the screen. I also have to add some coolant now, the same amount (500ml), as the mixture should be 50:50.

Is it normal for the cap to open? Why would the coolant overheat?

Do you guys find this as normal behaviour? I had my service 15 days ago. I also suspect that the coolant cap could have been left open by the service guys.

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

I suspect you’re right and it was left open, but definitely worth keeping a very close eye on and if it does anything again, get it back to them for checking…
Exmpa

Post by Exmpa »

If the cap was open this would explain the loss of fluid as it had “boiled off” from the now unpressurised tank. I still do a visual check of the accessible areas of the car; internal and external; after it has been in for maintenance. It’s an old habit that has turned up some surprising deficiencies. Spanners in the engine bay, loose battery retaining strap and once, wheel nuts in the boot. That was back in the days of hub caps. Not frequent occurrences, but things do happen,

Exmpa
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Put simply, the cap should never be left open or become open as the system needs to pressurise to ensure no boiling of the coolant - caps do not come open themselves in this way so someone must not have put the cap back on correctly
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

thank you for the answer guys, from now on I will do a visual check of the car after service/maintenance.

I have not noticed any problems again, and I left the car to run with AC on, under the sun, for like 5 minutes. I will keep an eye on it anyway.

thanks again for the valuable answers