Another Crystal White One

Post pictures of your Volvo XC40 here
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

Flatman5 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 am Have to disagree Flatman5. No sign of any degradation in ride comfort & quality with the 20” (and I have test driven 19s). I think they both look very good and would have been happy with 19s, but the 20s look a tad better (IMHO again) and just fill the wheel arch that little bit more!

I think we will all be happy with either option.
Pjm just my view obviously, think we will both be very happy with our choices, it’s a fantastic car to drive hope you enjoy yours too👍🏻
[/quote]

I ordered the 18' Inscription 'standard' wheels because of ride confort with the 4C adaptive suspension. What disadvantage might I have having smaller wheels ? I am concerned about my choice now ....
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18

Becksie

Post by Becksie »

Looks lovely!
Ordered 12/03/18 - D4 R Design Pro - Fusion Red.
Build date - 02/11/18 :shock:
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Jsuter wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am
I ordered the 18' Inscription 'standard' wheels because of ride confort with the 4C adaptive suspension. What disadvantage might I have having smaller wheels ? I am concerned about my choice now ....

Don’t think you will have any disadvantage. Possibly an even better ride! 4C I am sure will be good - couldn’t get it with the FE.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Bob

Post by Bob »

Jsuter wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am I ordered the 18' Inscription 'standard' wheels because of ride confort with the 4C adaptive suspension. What disadvantage might I have having smaller wheels ? I am concerned about my choice now ....
Very basic description, but:

Smaller wheel = bigger tyre
Bigger wheel = smaller tyre

A smaller wheel/bigger tyre combo is going to put more air between the road and the alloy wheel, this is going to smooth out road imperfections and bumps. The fact there is more air between the wheel and the road means that air in the tyre is going to absorb more of the energy from the bumps, isolating them from the rest of the car. However, in situations where you are cornering fast you are likely to feel more 'wallow', and you'll get less feedback on what is happening between the road and the tyre, e.g. did it just slide a little or did you imagine it?

A Bigger wheel/smaller tyre combo is going to allow you to 'feel' the road better, giving you more feedback on what is happening both with the surface of the road and the results of your steering inputs. This will be an advantage going round the bends, especially if going fast, the car will feel like it is holding the road much firmer, and you will be much more aware if the car starts to slide. The down side is that the ride is likely to be much firmer and, although others on here say they didn't notice any difference, you are likely to feel more from bumps and potholes you hit.

Give me a small wheel/big tyre combo anytime, comfort over looks wins for me. If the FE was available with an 18" wheel I'd have gone for that option.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Are they wider? I thought they were the same width. I expect a wider wheel will give more 'cushioning' as there'll be more air in the tyre to absorb the road imperfections. However, I don't think it would be as noticeable as the difference between wheel sizes.

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

18" and 19" are 235's. 20" s are 245?
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Jsuter

Post by Jsuter »

Bob wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 pm
Jsuter wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am I ordered the 18' Inscription 'standard' wheels because of ride confort with the 4C adaptive suspension. What disadvantage might I have having smaller wheels ? I am concerned about my choice now ....
Very basic description, but:

Smaller wheel = bigger tyre
Bigger wheel = smaller tyre

A smaller wheel/bigger tyre combo is going to put more air between the road and the alloy wheel, this is going to smooth out road imperfections and bumps. The fact there is more air between the wheel and the road means that air in the tyre is going to absorb more of the energy from the bumps, isolating them from the rest of the car. However, in situations where you are cornering fast you are likely to feel more 'wallow', and you'll get less feedback on what is happening between the road and the tyre, e.g. did it just slide a little or did you imagine it?

A Bigger wheel/smaller tyre combo is going to allow you to 'feel' the road better, giving you more feedback on what is happening both with the surface of the road and the results of your steering inputs. This will be an advantage going round the bends, especially if going fast, the car will feel like it is holding the road much firmer, and you will be much more aware if the car starts to slide. The down side is that the ride is likely to be much firmer and, although others on here say they didn't notice any difference, you are likely to feel more from bumps and potholes you hit.

Give me a small wheel/big tyre combo anytime, comfort over looks wins for me. If the FE was available with an 18" wheel I'd have gone for that option.

Bob
Tx for the explanation ! I am reassured having made the right choice. Comfort is prime for me !
T4 Inscription - Pine Grey - Blond Interieur - All packs - 18‘ rim - 4c Suspension - Ordered end of March delivered 24.5.18
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

I'm sad enough I actually calculated the side wall Of each alloy wheel size

5942CE1F-4939-4231-B81B-85486FE7A3EF.jpeg

XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Sad (!?) but very useful indeed! :D

So sacrificing 8mm "height" in moving from 19" to 20" but gaining 10mm width. Not saying the two compensate, but perhaps the ride difference isn't as big as people think.

Different story if you are going as far as 21" - boy those are thin.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Flatman5

Post by Flatman5 »

Think the 19s and 20s but thought the 21s didn’t suit the car and obviously a personal hing thought it made it look a bit hot wheels ish 😀