Possible battery drain issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Volvo XC40
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

I’m posting this in a separate thread to the support battery issue thread in case it’s not connected.

Back to the story…

We have noticed that our Early 2020 D4 AWD Inscription Pro is keeping Bluetooth devices connected after exiting the car. Even 4 hours later, my phone in my pocket is still connected to the Sensus Volvo infotainment system (our car is parked just outside front window). Strangely we have had issues with the support battery lately necessitating a battery swap. I’m a little worried as not only is my iPhone staying connected (even after I did a full reset of infotainment system), but we have had a few weird glitches like loss of audio of things like the indicators, loss of the navigation from driver display etc. I’m loathed to go back to Volvo as every time I send it in it seems to take Volvo North London 3 attempts to fix anything.

Is anyone else out there having weird system issues? As we brought the car into the dealership only a few weeks ago I know I’m on lately software version etc. I’m just worried this constant connection means the car is staying ‘alive’ and therefore not ever properly sleeping causing further battery drain issues.

bravem01

Post by bravem01 »

Modern cars are always on. Alarms, keyless ignition, connected services etc do drain batteries albeit very slowly. Mine connects itself to the house wifi to do sat nav updates.
2020 XC40 R-design, T4
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

You have to leave the car for a protracted time, when your Volvo app will report your car has shut down to conserve power... I can't remember how long, mine's only done it once since March 21
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Shouldn’t be still connected to Bluetooth after you switch off and lock the car - the app connects, but nothing else - definitely doesn’t sound right to me and sorry, but I’d be going back with it, especially if you can very easily show them the issue…

When you lock the car, is the information / entertainment screen still lit up ?
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

Andy40 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 am Shouldn’t be still connected to Bluetooth after you switch off and lock the car - the app connects, but nothing else - definitely doesn’t sound right to me and sorry, but I’d be going back with it, especially if you can very easily show them the issue…

The infotainment turns off but the Bluetooth connection remains active for hours (often overnight). This means my phone thinks I am driving and consequently does not alert me etc when I am at home as it thinks I’m driving.

Sadly the issue is intermittent as well so it does not always do this, although it does it often.

Personally I suspect it’s either a software issue or a control module has partly died.
Last edited by Traveloguy on Tue May 10, 2022 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

That's not normal behaviour. At least not on my T4. Even if sat in the car, if i turn engine off it will keep BT on for another 10, maybe 15 minutes, than it will switch off.
Happened many a time to be on a call and suddently be cut off as all audio went to the phone. I'd say take it to your dealer.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Traveloguy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:49 pm
Andy40 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:35 am Shouldn’t be still connected to Bluetooth after you switch off and lock the car - the app connects, but nothing else - definitely doesn’t sound right to me and sorry, but I’d be going back with it, especially if you can very easily show them the issue…

The infotainment turns off but the Bluetooth connection remains active for hours (often overnight). This means my phone thinks I am driving and consequently does not alert me etc when I am at home as it thinks I’m driving.
That’s not normal behaviour at all. When I switch off, exit car, lock up etc, Bluetooth is disconnected straight away…

A trip back to the dealership I’m afraid…
Traveloguy

Post by Traveloguy »

Agree. Something is definitely wrong.

Bluetooth now working again but strangely voice control is now gone (not that I ever use it).
Trafford

Post by Trafford »

mine disconnects also

but I have to say that I also changed the support battery, inside the warranty (after 2 years and 10 months), because it was probably faulty.
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

Traveloguy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:23 pm I’m posting this in a separate thread to the support battery issue thread in case it’s not connected.

Back to the story…

We have noticed that our Early 2020 D4 AWD Inscription Pro is keeping Bluetooth devices connected after exiting the car. Even 4 hours later, my phone in my pocket is still connected to the Sensus Volvo infotainment system (our car is parked just outside front window). Strangely we have had issues with the support battery lately necessitating a battery swap. I’m a little worried as not only is my iPhone staying connected (even after I did a full reset of infotainment system), but we have had a few weird glitches like loss of audio of things like the indicators, loss of the navigation from driver display etc. I’m loathed to go back to Volvo as every time I send it in it seems to take Volvo North London 3 attempts to fix anything.

Is anyone else out there having weird system issues? As we brought the car into the dealership only a few weeks ago I know I’m on lately software version etc. I’m just worried this constant connection means the car is staying ‘alive’ and therefore not ever properly sleeping causing further battery drain issues.
A short question: do you have an iPhone app and are you using the start screen widget? I am using that widget because it's easier for me to start the parking climate or even lock the car that way, but also to figure out the outdoor temperature (yeah, I know, it's lame). However, I noticed that if my car is left on a parking lot for a few days (for example it was on the airport for almost 4 days and I drove three hours to the airport), the battery drains a bit and I'm not getting the Start/Stop option unless I drive for a few hours. I don't know if that's normal "battery drain" or is the fact the app is constantly in contact with the car in the background that drains the battery a lot.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018