Decisions, decisions

New to the Volvo XC40 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi all, just found this forum after someone conveniently put a link on the Q3 forum.

Currently I have a Q3, and to be honest I love it, and would replace it with another at the drop of a hat. However the new Q3 isn't available to order until July for delivery in October/November, and I really wanted to change my car in the Spring. In the meantime I've had a quick look around at what is available that is a similar size as the Q3.

BMW was my first choice has I've had BMW motorbikes for years, and always found BMW are very good with aftersales service. Unfortunately, their X1, whilst a lovely car, is too low. I like the height of the Q3 and would want the same or higher. So I looked at the X3, a lovely car but the wife is adamant, nothing physically bigger than the Q3, well not by much, and the X3 is too large for her liking (to be fair she drives the car more than I do, I'm nearly always out on my motorbike!).

Had a look at Jaguar E-Pace. Nice car, but the rear windows taper off a bit like the Evoque, and SWMBO hates that. Plus, I've been put off by some of the horror stories I've heard about JLR vehicles.

So to Mercedes and the GLA (the GLC, like the X3, is too big). I went to have a look at one and it was too low, however I have since found out there are two models of GLA, a sportier, lower one, and a normal SUV height one. I think I may have looked at the former, so I may have to revisit.

To date the best bet to replace my Q3 is the Volvo XC40. I just need to see one to be convinced. I want to check it out for size, and I'm not to sure if I like how the rear end kicks up at the back door quarter-light. I was almost tempted to order a First Edition when I went to ask about them at my local show room, but I need a petrol engine, we don't do enough miles to go for a diesel (in 4.5 years we have only done 27,000 miles in the Q3, I've done more miles on my motorbike in 3 years!). However, I think Volvo have made a big mistake with their pricing by putting the petrol version of the FE into the luxury car tax band by £55!
Anyway, my local dealer tells me that on the 22 February, the official launch date, they will have an XC40 in the flesh, and from that date you'll be able to spec your own.

The way things are looking, due to the tardiness of Audi getting their new Q3 launched, Audi could be losing a customer of 15 years if both SWMBO and I like the XC40 when we see it! ;)

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

MrParkson

Post by MrParkson »

Hi Bob

Quite a similar story over here! I feel the XC40 offers something a bit different and more refreshing than the rivals.

Now I'm 99% sure I'm correct in saying this, someone please correct me if not, but I believe the T5 first edition does not fall into the luxury car tax band...

T5 first edition has a recommended retail price of £38,950,

The £40,055 price is on the road, including first years road tax, delivery cost, registration fee's ect...
I belive the tax rates are based on the list price, rather than the on the road price, if that makes any difference to you :) .
XC40 FE T5 Crystal White 20" LAVA!
Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

Hi,
I have been told that as well by Volvo. The P11D value is below £40000 and does not incur the £310 supplement. I have ordered a T5 First Edition and the salesman initially said it would be taxed higher but I asked him to check and he found out it was classed as being below £40000.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi guys,

Yes, you are both quite right, thanks. I've just been looking at the price list and spotted the P11D figure, so it looks like Volvo have priced it just right!
When I emailed my dealer asking when they'd have one to look at, I mentioned the higher car tax on the T5 First Edition was off putting, but he didn't correct me so I thought I was right in my assumption.
That has now made it very tempting as, if I was to spec the car myself, I may go for the T4 option but when I add the extras I want, at first glance, it is coming out not much cheaper than a First Edition.
First I have to convince myself, then work on SWMBO ;)

Cheers

Bob
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Alistair72

Post by Alistair72 »

Hi Bob,
I think if you want all the bells and whistles the First Edition is a bit of a bargain. I priced the cost of adding all the First Edition spec to a RDesignpro and it came to a lot more than £40055! You also get the £1500 deposit contribution. I like the idea of not having to decide what options I want and just having everything included.
Cheers
Alistair
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

The T5 First Edition is definitely priced under the VED tax limit. Even the Volvo price list is confusing, no wonder the salesmen are! The correct figure for VED is the same as the quoted P11D price - that is £40,055 less £555 making £39,500. The £555 is made up of the £500 first year tax plus the £55 new registration fee.

The equivalent figure for the D4 First Edition is £39,305 less £255 making £39,050.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Alistair "I priced the cost of adding all the First Edition spec to R-Design Pro and it came to a lot more than £40055!"

I fully agree! While you can't yet build a non First edition model on the website, I got the total for an R-Design Pro plus all the extra FE features at some £4k plus extra over the FE price.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Bob

Post by Bob »

Alistair,

"£1500 deposit contribution"

I've not heard of this, is it an offer for all sales whether PCP, cash, etc.?
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

pjm007 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:49 pm The T5 First Edition is definitely priced under the VED tax limit. Even the Volvo price list is confusing, no wonder the salesmen are! The correct figure for VED is the same as the quoted P11D price - that is £40,055 less £555 making £39,500. The £555 is made up of the £500 first year tax plus the £55 new registration fee.

The equivalent figure for the D4 First Edition is £39,305 less £255 making £39,050.
Actually this is not quite right. The VED calculation is list price plus (£500) delivery plus (£55) first registration fee. (In this very simple case). Either way the current First editions should be below the £40k threshold. Just don’t add any factory extras (if there were any left to add... haha).

[Edit: in a moment of having something in ones head and typing something different, the inclusion of first registration fee above is incorrect, as is the £500 delivery charge (more like £550). See post further below as well as the helpful DVLA reference document that explains all about what is in and out.]
Last edited by Boomer on Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

Boomer wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:53 pm Actually this is not quite right. The VED calculation is list price plus (£500) delivery plus (£55) first registration fee. (In this very simple case). Either way the current First editions should be below the £40k threshold. Just don’t add any factory extras (if there were any left to add... haha).
Sorry Boomer - £5 out! This is exactly why its complicated. The VED can be calculated as list (or retail) price plus £550 (not £555) which is the cost of delivery, number plates & VAT.

OTR is then the P11D price plus the £555.